Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbspeterlee Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
    US Tax Return from the Medical and Dental Payments for my Seriously Ill Mother
    Hi,

Basic Info:

1. My citizenship is P.R.China;

2. My mother's citizenship is P.R.China;

3. I'm now working under H1B status in the US;

4. Due to my mother's serious illness, I've been paying her Medical and Dental expenses for the last several years. It's a big amount of my income;

Questions:

1. Can I claim her as my relative dependent (Relationship: Son-Mother), so that I could have more itemized deduction from Schedule A (1040 Form)?
    I saw something disappointed, however, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
    Page 11 - Citizen and Resident Test:
    "You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or ..."

2. Are there any other ways to make more deductions, because I really paid a lot of money for my mother's medical and dental expenses. I also paid a lot for my parents' food and daily expenses.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Sorry, but you cannot claim her as a dependent unless she is HERE in the United States, and she must meet the Substantial Presence Test to get an ITIN, which is also required to claim her as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need transcript from atlanta college of medical & Dental Assistants, 1973 [ 3 Answers ]

How to obtain transcript from atlanta college of medical & dental assistants, class of 1973

My Mother Fraudulently Claimed Me as a Dependent on her Tax return, what can/do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

So my mom is a pathological liar... she beat me up, controlled me, & etc. during my entire teenaged life (I moved back in with her when my grandmother died in the 10th grade). I couldn't do anything about it though because she was a social services worker in the county in which I was residing; she...

Claim my mother as dependent in tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am an American Citizen. My mother has a green card and social security number since Oct, 2006. Can I claim her as my dependent in my tax return? Thank you very much. Sincerely, Shih-Chu Liao

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

View more questions Search