Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Bosal 287-221 Center Silencer (Muffler)
    Be careful buying Bosal "direct fit" mufflers and exhaust pipes. I just installed a Bosal center silencer and exhaust pipe (287-221), plus a rear muffler (VFM1337), on my 1993 Civic DX, 4 Dr. Sedan, VIN EG8. Major cutting and fabrication was involved. Don't believe that only simple hand tools are required. The center silencer's middle hangers missed going into the rubber insulators by 3 inches. I had to cut them off with a 3" high speed air cut-off tool and fabricate a replacement from the original Honda exhaust pipe. This was not easy. Additionally, the rear hanger was 3 inches short of the rear insulator. This required cutting the exhaust pipe (behind the silencer), buying a 1.75" I.D. x 1.75" I.D. exhaust connector, and buying two 1.875" muffler clamps to finally solve the problem. Afterwards, I was told by an Advance Auto Parts employee, who is a professional mechanic by day, that this is par for the course with Bosal products. He said, "They may be an OEM manufacturer (out of the Netherlands), but their aftermarket products are not made to OEM specifications." Caveat emptor.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 11:13 AM
    I called Bosal's customer service department this morning. Several hours after checking out my complaint, they told me they put the wrong Bosal Part No. Sticker on a production run of these exhaust pipes. The exhaust I received was really a Bosal 287-529 (for an automatic transmission), with a Bosal 287-221 sticker on it. The 287-221 is for a manual transmission. They are going to send me a new exhaust free of charge. Sometimes, complaints save companies beaucoup bucks. They "manned up" to the situation and I'm impressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singer model 287 sewing machine? [ 0 Answers ]

Looking for bobbins for singer zig zag sewing machine graduate model 287 (UK built?) what would be part no. Or size?

Antique singer sewing machine serial number AG558.287 [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know the value of the singer machine serial number AG558.287, running and in fair condition.

221 N. Bever St. Wooster, OH [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I find a REAL FREE site to search property records. Everyone claims to be free when u do your search in order to get results I must pay.

About car silencer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a santro xing and is reqiuring replacement of silencer. One of my friends from car mechanics background told me not to go for company made as they are more than twice as costly and serve more or less the same function. Can anyone enlighten me?

Am I right that this is how a silencer works [ 2 Answers ]

I've a question about silencer. I want to make a Silencer that'll either decrease or mute sound of Exhaust fan fitted in the room's wall. I read somewhere that sound of a silencer of a car is Decreased because smoke enters from high pressure Towards low pressure. But my thinking is that...

View more questions Search