Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asheesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Full State Tax Refund
    Hi,

My employer has deducted state tax for NY state where as I live and work in NJ for full 2007 year. There was not even one day when I work or lived in NY.

Can you please let me know what's the procedure to get my state tax refund? My W2 has NY as my state.

Thanks very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:41 PM
    First, contact your employer and change your withholding to NJ.

Then, file a NY state tax return as a non-resident and get all of your withheld taxes back. When you get the refund, use it to pay your NJ taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:42 PM
    You need to file a NY state tax return to get all of your money back.

You will need the refund to pay your NJ state taxes PLUS the underwithholding penalties.

If you need professional tax advice, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund for F-1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am F-1 student and trying to file federal tax for the fifth year. This year an email was sent by one Mr. Tony Patel to all the Indian students in our university promising that we would get all the withheld amount back + $30!! Is this a genuine case? If I file by myself I would be getting...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

Telephone Tax Refund [ 1 Answers ]

I help paid the phone bill various years for my mom and dad, but it's not in my name, so if I try to get the tax refund, will they just reject it or will it mess up my whole return?

Texas Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I live in Texas and I have a credit card judgement against me. When I received the judgement papers my husband was very ill and ended up in the hospital, so I didn't respond to the judgement Can they take money out of my checking account, or my income tax refund, or garnish my wages....

Tax Refund Error - help please [ 2 Answers ]

I was living outside of the US for part of the last tax year; I filed an extension. On Friday my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. I was supposed to get $1850.00, instead I got $18.50. I've tried to get ahold of the IRS, US Treasury, my bank, everyone I can think of; I've had...

View more questions Search