Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schnookums Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
    Depression help
    I've been in and out of depressions for the last 18 yrs, and never once, even when I asked for help, did I ever receive it.I kept being told to snap out of it, that others were in a worst shape than me, and to just "suck it up buttercup"...
    Thoughts of suicide... are an hourly thing, actually attempted twice, and failed. OVer the last few months , those feeling of worthlessness are creeping up again, and to make matters worst my husband is clinically depressed. He wants me to help him, but I don't know how. Any suggestion?
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Mar 30, 2012, 12:37 AM
    A couple of things come to mind. Whoever was giving you advice was not very understanding of you. To tell someone to "suck it up" when you feel upset - is just not right. If you feel hurt and you are told to ignore that and to think of how much suffering there is for other people - then yes, I can see why you would continue to feel upset. Your feelings are important. You deserve better than being told that your feelings don't count. Of course you count- and your feelings count. You may be unhappy because of things that have happened that have left you feeling disappointed and hurt - and then not knowing how to express all that hurt and sadness - you turn on yourself because you never had the support that you needed. Sometimes it happens that a parent does not know how to respond and comfort their child - and so we are left in limbo - not knowing how to comfort ourselves. We never learned that in childhood - so as adults we suffer because we do not how to comfort ourselves. The first thing to know is that you are not hopeless. There are solutions. Suicide becomes an option because you just want the emotional pain to stop and you feel you are hopeless. You are not hopeless - you are a person and there are solutions. Suicide is not the answer. Another issue with depression is the need to know that you are primarily a spirit and that no matter what has happened in the past - there will always be a part of you that will always be whole and complete - right here and right now. You are more than any problem you may encounter in this life and you deserve to have a good life. Why not? Other people do - why not you? Feelings of worthlessness have no need to "creep up" when you know that you as a spirit move forward in courage and trust that the universe will help you in all you need.

I would suggest that you do go to counseling to learn new coping skills to address the sadness and depression.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
    You both should see a good physician to get the help you need by someone that knows how to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depression [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 14 years old and my parents are divorced I have a elder brother who is 16 years old. I live with my mom. My dad has anger management issues but he does not agree. My father drops me in the morning to school and my mom picks me. This morning 31 Jan. 2012, I was going to school in the...

Physical Depression more than Emotional Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard time getting up in the morning, I feel like I have no energy. I'm not just tired but drained of anything to make me get up. I also have been having a hard time remembering things, dizzy spells, nausea and weakness when lifting things. I do have some emotional depression but not as...

Depression [ 5 Answers ]

If the world developes a recession or depression , what would happen to the belongings people owe money on?

View more questions Search