Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worshipgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Is it best to add my name to the deed
    Both my parents' names are listed on the deed. My father is deceased, my mother (82 yrs old) is in a nursing home. Taxes are owed on the property. I & my family presently live in the home, I am in the process of catching up the property taxes. What are the ramifications of having my deceased father's name removed from the deed and mine added? How will this effect my mom who is in a nursing home? Desperatley seeking sound advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 03:46 PM
    well of course since she is already in a nursing home, if she can not afford to pay the full amount due, most likely they will come after the house. The transfer to protect the property has to be done a number of years prior to going into the nursing home.

And of course if they don't, as long as the people she wants to have it, are listed in the will, depending on the value of the home, assuming it is not a mansion or you would have already had estate planning done, but assuming a average home, it really does not matter,

So personally who will get the house if she passes, you, or you and other family, will the house need to be sold to pay off other family members >

If you are to get the house ( assuming nursing home does not get it) then you can get your name added now also.
    But you can merely get it though a will also, not a lot of difference
    * my opinoin anyway, but a local real estate attorney in your area would advice you best about the nursing home, and look at the will and other issues with the estate
    AP1047 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Ask a attorney what to do. Father leave will? Get copy, show attorney, if not, do as he/her says. This needs to be done before you can get any title.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worshipgirl View Post
    ... What are the ramifications of having my deceased father's name removed from the deed and mine added? ...
    Depending on the value of the house, there might be estate and inheritance taxes. But unless the house is a mansion, this is doubtful.

But first, I am curious how you propose to "have his name removed". You do understand that you will have to probate his estate, and your mother will inherit a good portion of it anyway, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add a name to a home deed [ 12 Answers ]

How do I add my daughters name to the deed on my home

How do I add my husband to my deed [ 0 Answers ]

I live in California and I want to add my husband onto my house deed. My home is in my name and it is also in my own trust. I created my trust that says my husband gets my entire trust if living when I die... he has his own trust as well. However, I still want to add his name to the deed. How...

Add my name to deed? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I as spouse add my name to our house deeds

Add my husband to the deed of my house [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can add my husband to the deed of my house. Thanks, Judy

How do I add my name to my moms deed [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this,, I would like to know how should go about adding my name to the deed of my moms house, she has cancer and she is not doing well at all I live with her, but my name is not on the deed, and we still have a..

View more questions Search