Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirley46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
    Worked in another state part of the year
    My son in law worked in Indiana temporarily for 7 months in 2011 for his Georgia employer. His employer withheld Indiana taxes and I assume issued him an IN W-2 (haven't seen it yet but his Georgia W-2 does not have all his income.) His wife remained here in Georgia and we consider this to be his tax home and are deducting the temporary living expenses. For Georgia filing, do we treat him as a full year resident or part year resident?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 08:59 AM
    Since he had no intention to make IN his home, I suggest that he file a non-resident IN tax return and a full-year resident GA return. For IN he pays income tax only on income he received while working in IN. For his GA return he will report all income for the year, and calculate a tax on the full amount, but take a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions (namely IN).
    shirley46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
    That makes perfect sense, ebaines. Thank you so much for the quick reply.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
    ebaines again beat me to the punch and hit a home run!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    ..beat me to the punch and hit a home run!
    Mixing your metaphors, ATE? ;) But thanks for the kind words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We lived and worked out of state for the entire year and paid taxes to another state. [ 1 Answers ]

We are legal residents of Georgia, but have lived and worked in Virginia for two years. We paid taxes for the entire year to Virginia, but Georgia still insists we pay the same taxes to them. Somewhere I read in the Georgia Tax code that income earned out of state while living out of state is not...

Spouse part year state resident, me full year [ 1 Answers ]

My husband retired from the military June 1, 2008. His entire career he was a NH resident. For the 3 years we were married prior to hi retirement, we filed married filing separately because I have always been a MA resident. He switched his residence July 2008 and we are now wondering how to...

Part Year State Return and Unemployment Compensation from another state [ 1 Answers ]

I was living in Florida when I lost my job in June 2007 and started getting unemployment compensation from the State of Florida. I moved to Boston, MA in August 2007 and continued receiving the unemployment compensation from Florida. I got a new job in November 2007 in Boston, MA. So, my...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search