Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biggiesmallsbig Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
    Travel on foot what supplies should I bring?
    I wanted to travel on foot but I don't know if I am going south or north of Beloit Wisconsin (were I live). But if I did travel what should I bring? My thoughts are what ever I carry should be light but also not limit my necessities and should be able to live in ether city or forest areas. I do have some supplies growing up that I think will help but for instance I do not have much money as is to buy fancy equipment and wish to not have much money on me when I travel so what ever I bring should help me get my needs. I would also like to be living like this for at the least 4 weeks and at most 3 months.

I love the outdoors and I feel like I should experience something I am completely not use to and break free for a little in my life. Also I decided I'm 20 and I would physically only be able to do this because I don't have many responsibilities and now would probably be the best to go on this adventure.

Things I have or that I know I should carry.

Large hiking pack

Large water bottle

Flint and steel

Large poncho

3 lighters

100 dallor bill(incase if I want to get home at any time)

Needle and thread

Military MRE maybe 3 or 4 just to get me by for a while or to ration out

Kukri Machete

Driving license

Pocket knife

Small pan

If you could be helpful on things I may need other wise I would appreciate it and this is just a basic outline. Also maybe where I should travel towards. I was thinking north to go more into the woods area.

Also I am not very experienced with this so maybe recommend some books I could bring along to know different herbs I could eat in the region.

I did want to do something like the movie "Into the Wild"

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
    Look into powdered soup mix and powdered drink mixes instead of MRE, they don't last as long and take up more space.

Look into a cooking kit, pan, plate and cup set in small unit

If you have the flint and steel, why do you also want the lighters.

What are you going to sleep in, sleeping bag ? What about rain, something that makes a tent ?

Mar 29, 2012, 02:02 AM
    I will definitely check into the powder mix's that's a good idea. Also I don't know if I necessarily need all of the cooking supplies and things like a cup or plate just because after I cook anything I can use the pan I cooked in as my plate.

If I have a portable water bottle also the water bottle would be metal so I could heat it up and boil it just to sanitize it if need be.

Also for the tent, I thought about it and I feel like that takes up allot of space and is a lot of weight to carry and I might just bring a hammock and if need be make a natural tent instead of hauling one around but I don't know if I can get a cheep really small tent that would be worth carrying around.

I would also carry the flint and steel just for last basic need in case if my lighters broke because the lighters would be a quick somewhat easy way to get a quick fire. And if the fluid runs out it would be nice having the flint and steel.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Check out some of the survivial web sites, some of the tents are really not much larger than a poncho, go and sleep out a couple nights in hard rain and see if you may change your mind.

Also there are drinking containers that are purification straws that help in making water drinkable.

Apr 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
    1. Tent
    2. Knife
    3. Sharpener
    4. Filter water bottle
    5. Needle & thread
    6. Long pants
    7. Long shirt
    8. Sweater
    9. 4 boxer briefs
    10. 4 pair socks
    11. 3 shirts
    12. 2 shorts
    13. Poncho
    14. Axe
    15. Hat
    16. Compass
    17. Pan
    18. 100 bill
    19. Powder soup
    20. Flint and steel
    21. Drivers license
    22. Books (What can I eat, into the wild)
    23. Scissors
    24. Comb
    25. Big spoon
    26. Fork
    27. 3 wash clothes
    28. small toothbrush with paste

This is a list I've been trying to work on tell me what you think.

Apr 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Eureka Solitaire Tent, 23888 | Backpacking Tents | Tents | GEAR | items from Campmor.

The tent I would get light weight and good reviews

Apr 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Repost walking on foot just looking for suggestions
    This is a repost I didn't get many replies on the first one and I thought I would refresh it.

I wanted to travel on foot but I don't know if I am going south or north of Beloit Wisconsin (were I live). But if I did travel what should I bring? My thoughts are what ever I carry should be light but also not limit my necessities and should be able to live in ether city or forest areas. I do have some supplies growing up that I think will help but for instance I do not have much money as is to buy fancy equipment and wish to not have much money on me when I travel so what ever I bring should help me get my needs. I would also like to be living like this for at the least 4 weeks and at most 3 months.

I love the outdoors and I feel like I should experience something I am completely not use to and break free for a little in my life. Also I decided I'm 20 and I would physically only be able to do this because I don't have many responsibilities and now would probably be the best to go on this adventure.

1. Tent
    2. Knife
    3. Sharpener
    4. Filter water bottle
    5. Needle & thread
    6. Long pants
    7. Long shirt
    8. Sweater
    9. 4 boxer briefs
    10. 4 pair socks
    11. 3 shirts
    12. 2 shorts
    13. Poncho
    14. Axe
    15. Hat
    16. Compass
    17. Pan
    18. 100 bill
    19. Powder soup
    20. Flint and steel
    21. Drivers license
    22. Books (What can I eat, into the wild)
    23. Scissors
    24. Comb
    25. Big spoon
    26. Fork
    27. 3 wash clothes
    28. small toothbrush with paste

If you could be helpful on things I may need other wise I would appreciate it and this is just a basic outline. Also maybe where I should travel towards. I was thinking north to go more into the woods area.

Also I am not very experienced with this so maybe recommend some books I could bring along to know different herbs I could eat in the region.

I did want to do something like the movie "Into the Wild"

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
    You're doing this alone?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Since you're new at this, I suggest renting a cabin with a wood stove for a week. You will have a safe, dry place to sleep and be able to read up (by stovelight or lantern light) on trees and birds and spoor (animal traces), but will be able to hike in the woods to your heart's content. There might even be some other hearty renters around to socialize with or hike with (and learn from). Northern Wisconsin and Northern Michigan/the U.P. should have plenty of cabins for rent.

I did this at the Grand Canyon when I was 21 -- adventure of a lifetime!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
    You have a pretty big State park west of you, maybe you should start with a practice run and hike the park. Not sure about Wisconsin laws but in Illinois you have to stick to the roads and the troopers do not take kindly to folks with a matchete walking on a state road.

Apr 13, 2012, 01:49 AM
    Wondergirl-
    Yes I would be doing it alone I think it would be more enjoyable and all my friends are not into the whole outdoors deal. How much would renting a cabin be cause that does sound like fun but yet again I am barley making by as it is on money so anything I get has to be somewhat cheap but that was the whole plan on going on foot cause it wouldn't cost a thing.

Ballengerb1-
    I didn't want to do any state parks really because I've been told their so heavily patrolled and also if I recall correctly you have to have a fire permit to have a fire and for state parks it would be to easily to get caught with that. Also, I did take the machete into consideration I just figured if it is at the bottom of my hiking bag and not visible then there should be no problem its not like I'm going to have it strapped to my leg or back or carrying it in hand. I would feel bad for terrorizing people haha.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Apr 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Foot problems can quickly derail you. I'd carry Moleskin, foot powder, etc... Also, a spork can be used in lieue of the other utensils you listed. Wal-Mart carries an OK version for a couple of bucks. The brand is
    "Llight My Fire". It may seem insignificant but it's the little things that add up. Also, here's a link to a dirt cheap and very functional stove. I've made one and it works very well.
    Penny Stove Instructions & FAQs
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 07:19 AM
    If you are avoiding state parks where do you plan to pitch your tent at night and have a fire?

Apr 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
    raisingale-
    I completley forgot about a spork Ill have to do that. The penny stove idea is great to I love the instructions to make one out of a can but its just putting it to action and getting good at it also to make it work.

ballengerb1-
    I wan't to ether sleep somewhere in the woods every night ideally and I am sure it may come to state parks, but I want to find a place deep enough in the woods also were not many people are found and I can be secluded. If I head south though it may cause a problem to find such a place though.

May 3, 2012, 12:27 PM
    All right here's the newest update.

I have bought the tent that's a one person tent and I have slept in it when it was pooring rain and freezing and it did a great job and I did not get wet at all.

My thought now is what clothing should I wear/bring since it is coming towards summer.

Any suggestions?
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

May 3, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Clothing that wicks is good for a hot climate. Permethrin based clothing sprays are also available to help keep the insects at bay. If you haven't already done so you should join a backpacking forum. A wealth of info can be found at any number of them. Backpacker.com has a pretty active forum.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Layer, layer, layer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you travel to India during June, what type of clothes will you bring and why? [ 5 Answers ]

If you travel to India during June, what type of clothes will you bring and why?

Foot pain side of foot, feels painful but better when I squeeze my foot [ 4 Answers ]

It is midway down my right foot and only foot massage seems to apease it, but itsgetting worse and hurts earlier and earlier each evening. The central point is midway and for the ultimate in relief is to squeeze my feet down the sides, but that also sends me into agony once squeezed, but the long...

Live-in converted 38 foot travel trailer with 40 foot framed addition [ 0 Answers ]

I live in my ex wife's older 1978 38 foot travel trailer.I bought it from her,so "we" could buy some real-estate with two mobilehomes on it.I applied for County's Home Repair Grant/Loan ,through the County Housing Community Development.I tried to get a "Statement of Construction from DMV,via...

When a firm purchases supplies for use in its business, and the cost of the supplies [ 2 Answers ]

13. When a firm purchases supplies for use in its business, and the cost of the supplies purchased is recorded as an asset, the following adjustment to recognize the cost of supplies used will probably be required: A. Dr Supplies Cr Accounts payable B. Dr Supplies Cr Supplies expense C. Dr...

View more questions Search