Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 01:26 PM
    How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1?
    Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a student, and is non resident for tax purposes:

1. Can I file under “married filing jointly”, in which case, my wife, being a nonresident for tax purpose, will be taxed as a resident? Is she allowed to do that? I will receive a substantially more refund when I file under “married filing jointly” vs. us filing as “married filing separate”
    2. If allowed to file married filing jointly, then what about social security and medicare taxes for my wife’s portion of the income? (as she will now be resident for tax purposes under my filing) (These taxes are not being withheld from her income currently as she is a non resident for tax purposes under her visa rules)

This is very complicated and I would appreciate your expert analysis on this issue
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:30 PM
    1) Yers, She will file as the non-resident alien spouse of a resident alien (you).

2) She's okay for 2006, but for 2007, she will have to tell her employer of her changed status and pay those taxes starting from 1 Jan 07.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Actually more information is needed here. If your wife is deriving her income from working on campus and she is a full time student, then likely she is still exempt (under another part of the law) from social security tax.

If she is not covered by the other part of the law, then if she wants to be resident (by election) in 2006 then she would forfeit her rights to claim exclusion from social security tax. Technically she should have notified her employer that she would be a resident and thus not entitled to the exemption.

But in all likelihood she qualifies under the student-campus employment rule.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Good point, TaxSearcher!
    akane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
    I can give you more information if you need it.

She is working on campus and is on F-1 for less than 5 yrs and hence exempt from the substantial presence test. My issue was,

1. I would ideally want to file married filing jointly as my return is maximized that way. Therefore she would be taxed as a resident (since I am being taxed as a resident... correct?)

2. now if she is taxed as a resident, would she need to pay SS and medicare taxes on her income? (none were withheld because of here non resident status in 2006). As far as letting ler employer know that she would elect to be taxed as a resident in 2006, I didn't know until 2007, that filing married jointly is more profitable to me.

I don't know if I am making sense here, or that this is what you meant by more information. Can you tell me what you need to know so that I can provide it to you?

Thanks in advance
    akane
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 12:22 PM
    1) That is correct.

2) The fact that she works on campus will probably EXEMPT her from Social Security and Medicare taxes even if she files as a resident alien. That exemption is available to ALL students who work for the university at on-campus jobs. Check with the employer on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Social security and medicare: OPT to H1: married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm a citizen of India. Was on OPT until Sept 2006 and have been on H1B since. I believe I have to file 1040 NR for 2006? Correct since I do not meet the substantial presence I got married in dec 2006. Should I use 1040 NR married filing jointly? My wife is on H4

OPT->H1B filing jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Tax expert, I was on an OPT till Jan 1st to November 30th, 2006 and my H1B started on December 1st. My wife has been on an H1B all of 2006. We would like to file jointly. What forms do I use? Can I claim any deductions for being on an OPT for 11 months in 2006? Would it help if we...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05. I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions: 1) Am I a dual-status...

View more questions Search