Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hondaaussie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Can I escape from an unpaid judgement?
    Will a judgement that is unpaid be removed fom my credit report after 7 years, or will it only be removed 7 yrs AFTER it is paid? I have heard conflicting information.

Also, does anyone out there know if you can qualify for a traditional mortgage loan with a credit score of 650 AND an unpaid judgement?

Thanks!
    amolson Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 20, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Hi there,

It will remain on your credit rating for only 7 years, whether it was paid. However, a judgement may be different than a telephone bill for example. Is this something that went through the courts? If so, I would assume that it will stay with you until you pay it. They can garnish your wages if it is a large amount and if it suits them.

You may be able to qualify for a mortgage provided you don't have any R9's on your credit report. If it is your first home purchase, you will probably have to have a co-signer.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaaussie
    Will a judgement that is unpaid be removed fom my credit report after 7 years, or will it only be removed 7 yrs AFTER it is paid?? I have heard conflicting information.

Also, does anyone out there know if you can qualify for a traditional mortgage loan with a credit score of 650 AND an unpaid judgement?

Thanks!
    620 will get you a mortgage. The judgement may have to be satisfied. It is going to depend on how much it is for and whether the plaintiff filed a lien. If there is a lien, chances are the mortgage company will pay off the lien and add that amount to amount that you are borrowing. If the plaintiff files a lien after you own the property, it will have to be satisfied before you can get a home equity loan or sell the property.
    hondaaussie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Hi. The judgement was from a citibank credit card debt, and it is for approx $11,000.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Remember just if it drops off the report, most judgements are valid for 10 years ( at least around here they are) and they can be renewed after that for another 10 if the lender shows they have been trying to collect.

With a judgement ( depending on your state) they can attach your bank accounts, garnish your pay check, and perhaps put a lien on a home if you get one.

And although others are smarter than me on credit reporting, even after 7 years I believe a active judgement can still be shown and reported.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Ford Escape Transmission Problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Ford Escape 4x4 with 59,000 miles on it. Over the past 3 weeks I have noticed a severe chatter when first taking off in the vehicle. There appears to be something wrong anytime that I start from a complete stop or after slowing down to 10mph or less. The car rides fine once the...

2002 ford escape problems [ 1 Answers ]

Problem 1- Paint is peeling on the roof. It looks like there is no primer on the metal. Do any other people have this problem? What can I do about this? Problem 2- The 6 player cd unit does not work. Cd will not eject. Can I fix this? Does Ford Motor Co. know about this ?

I cannot escape [ 5 Answers ]

It’s been a year and two months. They try to tell you love fades with time, but I tell you there is no such thing as time. I had been with this guy for about a year a half starting the summer before my senior year in high school. He was never that great of a guy. The first six months of us being...

Fire Drills/Escape Routs for homes with more than one floor. [ 5 Answers ]

This very important question arose today in conversation. If in the event of a house fire, how does a family safely get out of a 2 story (or more) home if the first floor is engulfed with flames? Thanks for all input. Kae

Unpaid Divorce Settlement [ 7 Answers ]

The court ordered my ex-husband to pay me an installment on our divorce settlement, due this past January 5th. I have not received the money and I do not know what to do next. I cannot afford anymore legal fees and I suspect he won't pay until forced to. Any advice?

View more questions Search