Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mungbeans Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 07:03 PM
    Which box to tick on 1040NR for status (would tick 3 but spouse does't have an id)
    Hello

I'm filling in a 1040NR and am married and a resident of Canada but the instructions for boxes 3 and 4 say: "You cannot check the box on line 3 or line 4 if your spouse does not have an SSN or an ITIN. If your spouse is not eligible to apply for an SSN, he or she must apply for an ITIN."

Those two lines seem a bit contradictory. My wife doesn't have an SSN or an ITIN so reading just the first instruction line means I shouldn't check boxes 3 or 4, end of story. But then why do they add the 2nd sentence which IMO confuses thing? My wife isn't eligible for an SSN (she's on a H4 therefore has no income) should I check box 3 and 4 and attach a W-7 to the 1040NR? These instructions are not clear IMO.

If I should not check box 3 then what do I check? It says check only one box. But which one then?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Check box #3 and submit Form W-7 WITH the tax return to get her an ITIN.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there if you cannot see it on this page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of tick is this? [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of tick is this? I'm pretty sure it's a deer tick, but its hard for me to tell the difference. I found it attached to me around my waist band and I have a quarter sized red welt with a dark center at the bite site. I'm thinking and hoping this is just irritation from the bite. I'm a...

What is making my 7.3L tick. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1997 f-350 with a 7.3L turbo diesel. I just replaced 2 injectors #3. Now every time I rev to 2000rpms or beyond I have a ticking noise on the passenger side of the motor. But if I push in the clutch at any time while it is doing this it will stop. Do you have any answers for this or...

What kind of tick is this? [ 9 Answers ]

I got bit by a tick yesterday it was brown with a red dot. Can't find info on what type of tick it is

Is it a tick ? [ 7 Answers ]

Today we went to a local park and spent quite a bit of time in the woods. This evening as I sat watching TV I felt something on my leg and looked down to see a little 'bug' on my thigh. It looked like a small spider with a round body. It was medium brown and had 8 legs, I believe. I was...

Tick [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, here we are in the wonderful summer in the US. And I am now living in the country with all its nature. But we have already had our first "TICK" attack. This time was on our pet cat, it was crawling and I could just pick it off. But what if it gets on to one of the family members and bites...

View more questions Search