Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kezzaaaaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I received a business proposition, but I think it's money laundering.
    A woman from Denmark said she sells a lot of her products in America, but it is too hard to cash checks, etc. from people in America, so she has offered me 10% of all checks sent to me.

What I will do, is, open up an account, and put the money I receive in it, then send her 90% of the check, and I keep 10%.

I have had a LOT of business offers just like this, but this one interested me because she has her own website, and lots of beautiful and expensive products.

Am I committing a felony (money laundering) if I take the check, deposit it (It has been sent to me and received by me UPS), wait 5 days for it to clear, then send her 90% of the money, am I guilty of money laundering?

Also, I have had many requests from Nigeria, West Africa, etc. to send me millions, money left in accounts because a rich person from America, and all their relatives died in an accident (fill in accident). One party said I won a lottery, no one "died". All I sent in was $70, but they want me to open a new account, and give me my money in increments. They aren't asking for any more money!

I am on Social Security, what I am afraid of, is, if I AM entitled to all this money, and if I DO get it, what happens to my Social Security?

If I am unknowingly involved in fraud, money laundering, or any crime, am I still liable for it?

I'm more afraid they WILL send me money than I am if they don't!

HELP!!

I need to know the answers QUICK!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Any proper bank will cash cheques in US currency. Never, ever reply to emails offering you a business proposition from people you've never met in your life. These are sent to millions of people hoping to dupe a few.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Those are ALL scams.

Don't give anyone money, and do not use your bank account for anyone else's money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
    No it is not money laundering, ( you would wish it was) what happens, is they send you checks or money orders, and you deposit them in your bank
    And guess what, she wants the money sent western union or in a money order. So you take the money out of the bank, and send her the money.

And then in about two weeks, because these will be forged checks, they bounce and you owe the money back to the bank. The bank will be nice , they will not have you put in jail for fraud as long as you pay the money back in 30 days or so.

This is now a old scam, can't believe you have not heard of it by now.

Also if she really, really wanted someone to do her receiving for her, there are money management companies that do it for 1 to 3 percent, not 10 percent,

And she would be getting a business or bank to do it for her, not somneone in a email.

WAKE UP, THINK

At least you are writing before you did it, we get a couple each month that write after they did it and not sure what to do about the criminal charges or the bank saying they owe them money, and not thinking they have to pay the bank back.

A check from the US can be depoisited into any bank around the world, there are fees of course for changing from US funds
    nfacciolo Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Fr Chuck is right on the money. This happened to a person in my city and they now face charges for exactly what is described above. DON'T GET INVOLVED. What people do not seem to realise is that once you respond to one of these email spam offers, you get 100's more or the same. They peg you as a sucker and soon will give in to them. Even if you are broke and need money there are plenty of legit ways to earn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Startup money for a business [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Jenni and it is my dream to own my own company. Ive found the business of my dreams which is currently on the market, how ever I haven't got very good credit history and I'm finding it hard to come up with the asking price, or in fact any where near it! Where should I look to find...

Business loaned money to individual he filed bankrucy [ 3 Answers ]

Company loaned money to one individual he filed bankruptcy after stating we would not be included in bankrucy filing can any funds be awarded never notified by the court of the suit.

MM-Proposition 2 [ 0 Answers ]

Poulsbo Manufacturing, Inc. is currently an all-equity firm that pays no taxes. The market value of the firms equity is $3 million. The cost of this unlevered equity is 15% per annum. Poulsbo plans to issue $600,000 in debt and use the proceeds to repurchase stock. The cost of debt is 4%...

Received Money From Person Who Went Bankrupt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone A friend of mine lend CAD $30,000 to a friend. (no legal proof for lending), recently the guy who borrowed the money from my friend sold his house and called my friend and handed a bank draft worth of CAD $ 70,000 which is from his lawyer trust (after all mortgages and rest of...

View more questions Search