Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Villager11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Word problem
    I know the answer to this but can not explain to my child easily.
    "one block has 15 recycling containers. There are three more paper containers than plastic containers. How many paper, how many plastic containers? Answer is 6 and 9.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Let A = number of paper containers and B = number of plastic containers. You know:

A+B = 15, since the total number of conatiners is 15.
    A = B+3, since the number of paper containers is 3 more than plastic containers.

You now have two equations in two unknowns. You can substitute the value for A from the second equation into the first:

(B+3) + B = 15

Now solve for B:

2B + 3 = 15
    2B = 15-3 = 12
    B = 12/2 = 6.

Put this value for B back into the first equation:

A+B=15, so A+6 = 15
    A = 15-6 = 9.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word problem [ 0 Answers ]

Lucas drives to and from school over the same route each day. On Friday, he drives at an average rate of 35 mph and is two minutes late to school. On Monday, he drives at an average rate of 40 mph and is three minutes early to school. If he left home at the same time each day, what is the...

Need help with a word problem [ 0 Answers ]

If there were 49825 births in one year of a population of 2.2 million, how many births were there per 1000 people?

Word problem [ 2 Answers ]

The median salary of a nursing major with 10 to 20 years experience is $3 thousand less than twice that of an education major with less than 5 years experience. Combined, two people with each of these majors and specified years of experience earn 02 thousand. Find the median salary of a nursing...

Word problem [ 1 Answers ]

At one time, the Texas Junior college Teachers asscosiation annual conference was held in Austin. At that time a taxi ride in austin was $1.25 for the first 1/5 of a mile and $.025 for each additional mile. If the distance from one of the convention hotel to the airport is 7.5 miles how much...

Word problem [ 12 Answers ]

Two trains are headed right for each other they are 180 miles apart. Train A is going 50mph, train B is going 40 mph train A starts at point A. when will they collide and where will they collide in reference to point A? I don't even know where to start on this problem, it just is confusing me......

View more questions Search