Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msdebdardx4 Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

Mar 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Nigerian girl "banished?"
    I asked this one before, but I cannot find it anywhere. Two weeks ago one of my kindergarten students told me "My brother turned eight yesterday, but he did not banish me." I asked her what she meant, but she could not tell me. She is a little Nigerian girl. I am curious about what she means from a cultural standpoint. I do not know if this is a tribal or regional thing. I am just very curious about it. I could ask her parents, but I do not want to offend them. I have researched it, but cannot seem to find any answers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Is she Muslim?
    I think it can mean different things in Islam, from having to retreat to another room when men enter, to separating beds/bedrooms of siblings at a certain age, to the English meaning of driven away or shunned.
    If you find out that she is Muslim, I would ask this here under Islam.
    msdebdardx4 Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

May 4, 2016, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Is she Muslim?
    I think it can mean different things in Islam, from having to retreat to another room when men enter, to separating beds/bedrooms of siblings at a certain age, to the English meaning of driven away or shunned.
    If you find out that she is Muslim, I would ask this here under Islam.
    Thanks so much! I know it has been years, but I could not remember my password. My son asked me a question tonight, and he told me to try askmehelpdesk. I logged in instantly without even trying to recall the password. It just came to my mind to try an old password I used to use. Amazing. I think this as one of the last questions I asked so it has been at least four years. I still do not know the answer, and I am no longer in contact with this family.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2016, 10:50 PM
    And is this a real "brother" There are many practices in both Nigerian practice and Islamic customs that happen to a boy who turns 8.
    In a farming culture for example, a boy is arranged a wife, at that age, for future marriage and other customs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

I was told by a "spiritual leader" or "medium" to put white flowers in my bedroom. [ 8 Answers ]

I have no idea what they are intended to do or what area in my life they are going to improve or affect. Does anyone know what white flowers, specifically in the bedroom are for?? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search