Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChristopherW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2004, 08:58 PM
    Offset Closet Flange Installation
    Installing a toilet in a new basement bathroom. Center of 4: PVC drain pipe is 13.5" from the wall, so I tried to use an offset flange, made by Oatey Caspers. It was a snug fit, so I did some sanding with sandpaper and emery cloth, applied the cement and tapped it down, but could not get it in all the way, then had a tough time removing it (in pieces). I also have a straight flange. The straight flange unit will fit nicely into the 4" drain, but the offset flange unit is about 1/16th" wider, just enough to prevent it being seated all the way in. I checked Home depot and went through all their offset flanges and selected one that appeared smallest, but it still won't fit.

It seems like a defect in the flange, or is it possible that another manufacturer would have a tighter tolerance on the outside dimension? I'm reluctant to sand it down by hand, in case it ends up uneven and I don't get a good seal.

I'm tempted to just use the straight flange, and have the back of the tank 1-1/2 inches out from the wall, but it wouldn't look the best. I want the flange to be flush with the concrete floor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, the concrete floor is a bit uneven where the drain pipe is located. What's the best way to shim the toilet and/or the flange? Plumber's putty, rubber shims, or ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2004, 07:49 AM
    Offset Closet Flange Installation
    Good morning Chris,
    Let's see if another offset flange will work. Go to a plumbing supply house or plumbing shop and ask for a 4 X 1 1/2" PVC offset toilet flange.
    Make very sure that you have all the glue sanded off and removed from the pipe. Sand everthing down if it fits too tight but don't try to force the flange all the way onto the pipe as it is slightly tapered and will bind.
    Prime both the inside of the flange and the outside of the pipe with PVC Primer and apply PVC cement,(glue) to both pieces. Position the offset flange and press down to the floor. Don't wory about getting a good seal. If you primed it correctly the cement will melt the PVC and weld the two pieces together.
    If the toilet bowl rocks or is uneven after you tighten the closet bolts it must be shimmed and leveled. Go to a plumbing shop and ask to purchase a small tub of White Dap Tub and Tile caulk and soime scrap sheet lead
    from roof flashings. Cut the lead into strips a few inches long and 1/2" wide.
    Loosen the closet bolts until the bowl loosens down and fold the lead strips to fit snug pushing them in until they're even with the bowl and not sticking out. If you loose one under the bowl just leave it or hook it out with a clotheshanger. Retighten the closet bolts and try to rock the bowl. If it still rocks a little then loosen down and shim the low spot. After you get the bowl set run a ring of White Dap around the base of the bowl and the floor. Smooth it out with your finger and wipe the excess oiff with a damp cloth.
    That should do it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3" PVC closet flange in my basement that is mounted to the cement floor and the flange is cracked in several spots and leaking. How can I repair it without breaking up the cement floor, is there away that I can remove the top of the flange and insert a new one.

Closet flange install [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two-part question on installing a closet flange. My house is a mid-60’s split-level and I replaced all the copper DWV with PVC. The main drain is 3” and I used a 4” to 3” closet ell. I had to remove the old flooring down to the joists, replace with new plywood, and cut holes for the ell...

Broken PVC closet flange [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Can any one help me?. My basement had a minor flood and as I was tearing out the sub floor I accidentally broke off the toilet flange. The flange was cleanly broken off with the remaining tail piece still glued in the drain pipe. The ID of the broken off piece is 3 3/8". I cannot find a...

Closet Flange [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen quite a few questions regarding closet flanges but not exactly what I have going on. The toilet in my first floor bathroom has been leaking from the base so I decided to take the opportunity to update the entire bathroom. After removing the toilet I was shocked to find no closet...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

View more questions Search