Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yangkuan81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:01 AM
    The gap between OPT and H1-B
    Hi,

I am still a student on F1 right now but will graduate on May and I have some questions on the Gap between OPT and H1-B.

I am applying for my OPT and it should be effective from June 1st or July 1st. As far as I know, H1-B will be effective from Oct 1st each year.

So, if I apply for the H1-B visa next year and get approved, there is still a gap between the OPT expiration date and H1-B effective date(from June to Oct). At that time, will I be legal or illegal staying in this country? And, can I work during that time?

BTW, what is the regular process for people on OPT to apply for H1-B? Since the OPT expiration date varies for different people, do they apply for H1-B prior to April? Or they just apply whenever their OPT is going to end?

Thank you for your answers in advance! I am really confused here.

Have a nice day to you all!!

Kuan
    manishv1984 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yangkuan81
    Hi,

I am still a student on F1 right now but will graduate on May and I have some questions on the Gap between OPT and H1-B.

I am applying for my OPT and it should be effective from June 1st or July 1st. As far as I know, H1-B will be effective from Oct 1st each year.

So, if I apply for the H1-B visa next year and get approved, there is still a gap between the OPT expiration date and H1-B effective date(from June to Oct). At that time, will I be legal or illegal staying in this country? And, can I work during that time?

BTW, what is the regular process for people on OPT to apply for H1-B? Since the OPT expiration date varies for different people, do they apply for H1-B prior to April? Or they just apply whenever their OPT is going to end?

Have a nice day to you all!!!

Kuan
    Hey,

I'm currently in the situation that you will be going to be in next year (the gap period). To answer your question you can stay in the country for up to 60 days AFTER your OPT has expired. You CANNOT work for an employer after your OPT has expired, even during the grace period. You WILL need to leave the country after 60 days and re enter ONLY after Oct1st. To make a long story short: lets say your OPT starts June 1st 2007. You can work with your employer till May31st 2008. You will need to stop work on May 31st 2008. You can stay till 60 days after May 31st 2008. You will need to leave the country after 60days+May31st 2008 and re enter only after Oct 1st 2008.

DONOT wait for your OPT to expire to apply for H1-B. With the backlog I'm hearing, your H1-B petition must be in the government's hands on April 1st.
    Fullspan Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Hi,

Kuan
    Do one thing. If you haven't apply for the graduation or OPT, You better delay your graduation. Graduate at the end of summar. Say mid of July. Get your opt started in mid of August. And you should be OK. Otherwise, YOU WILL BE SCREWED LIKE ME. Take one summar class and keep finding the job. Believe me its less pain.
    blueeyesblue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Hi,

Kuan

This year I am facing the same issue... opt ending in may... got a job... I want to cover the gap between opt and h1b... please let me know how you managed this situation last year... my email id is [email protected]
    raj83168 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 12:56 PM
    I'm graduating this may( spring 08) technically, bt taking an extra course to push my graduation to summer (aug 08) fr the same reason. I think that would be the safest way to be.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher air gap overflowing [ 5 Answers ]

The air gap for our dishwasher has been overflowing since we bought the house 20 years ago. It was an annoying problem but not serious. I tried to fix this problem several times. I replaced the hose, I replaced the air gap NO JOY. The air gap discharges into the garbage disposal. The disposal seems...

How do I deal with the Gap between OPT and H1-B? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am still a student on F1 right now but will graduate on May and I have some questions on the Gap between OPT and H1-B. I am applying for my OPT and it should be effective from June 1st or July 1st. As far as I know, H1-B will be effective from Oct 1st each year. So, if I apply for...

No Dishwasher air gap on new sink [ 1 Answers ]

Thought installing a new sink would be a relatively simple job. As I look to get started, the new sink did not come with the hole and equipment for the dishwasher drain. I think its called the air gap. Question, can I bypass the airgap and connect the hose directly from the dishwasher to the...

Air gap overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my air gap for the diswasher overflow

Air Gap is overflowing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I have a very baffling situation. We changed our countertop, now the air-gap is overflowing for the first few seconds every time the dishwasher empties and makes a mess on the counter top, then continues to drain normally. Here is the setup. THREE separate drains under the sink, each...

View more questions Search