Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nzou Posts: 62, Reputation: 2
    -

Mar 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
    How to control network traffic over a shared internet connection in a home network
    I have just setup a LAN at home with the following specifications:

• A wireless router (linksys wrt120n) connected by an ethernet cable to a desktop server.
    • Desktop server running Windows Server 2008 R2, no antivirus or third party firewall installed yet.
    • Clients on this network are laptops and cellphones connecting via Wi-Fi.
    • Internet access is via a usb EVDO modem connected to the desktop server and shared via Internet Connection Sharing.
    • Static IPs are as follows: desktop--> 192.168.137.1, wrt120n router---> 192.168.137.2
    • The rest of the IPs are assigned by the ICS DHCP on the desktop.

Problem is there are some clients that are running torrents and large downloads, which are starving off everyone from smooth internet browsing. How do I control this. I have tried blocking ports 999-65535 from accessing the network via the router and also tried the same by blocking them via the desktop's windows' firewall but to no avail. Setting up QoS priorities on the router is not working neither.
    Preferably I would like to control this without installing any 3rd party software, however if need be, please tell me the best software I can use to achieve this feat...

Thanks in advance
    be.ahmadpour Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2012, 02:48 AM
    You should be used du meter
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
    Seriously, if this is a home network, find them and unplug them and don't allow them back on until they agree not to be so anti-social with the internet connection.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
    You can also assign them a fixed IP... and turn off the DHCP server... and also authenticate based on the unique ID of the lan port. So they can't simply change the IP address.

I am assuming you know how to set up the QoS correctly giving P2P apps the lowest priority.
    Nzou Posts: 62, Reputation: 2
    -

Apr 3, 2012, 03:46 PM
    Manual IPs will mean that every time anyone goes off to use their laptops elswhere they have to reconfigure their networking settings which is too much work for anyone on the go. I am using a Wireless router, didn't know there are individual ports for each user connected to it via wi-fi.

My setup seems not to support QoS, the modem is connected to the Desktop not the router. I tried the QoS and it was no use. However if there is another way of setting up the QoS on the server itself then please enlighten me.
    @Curlyben I know that option, but I want to learn the more technical methods not the social ones...
    @Ahmadpour what is that?

please note, the specs and network setup i provided in my question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a network with 50 PC connected and a shared internet of speed 4MBPS. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a network with 50 PC connected and a shared internet of 4MBPS speed. But when I use utorrent to download some files in a PC then other PCs got very low internet speed. Is there any router to control the bandwidth of internet speed. OR I have to use PC software? Mostly I like to use a...

How to share internet connection in network [ 1 Answers ]

I have 100 pcs in my network and I want to share Internet in network. So how it is possible? By using router or making proxy server?

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Specify a network connection for internet access [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 network adapters installed on my computer, and each is plugged into a separate network. I need to use internet access from one network and use file sharing from the another, the both networks have internet access but I don't want to access internet through the adapter which I'm tending to...

Internet connection on a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

I finally got my wireless connected but when I try to go on the internet I get "No page found". I talked to the ISP and they said it was a router problem. There are 3 other devices on the router and there are no problems with them. What do I need to do?

View more questions Search