Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaveGo2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Statute of Limitations re: Debt
    Good afternoon,

I live in Ontario, Canada, and my question pertains to the Statute of Limitations law on debt collection applicable in this province.

On April 15, 2003, I was given a Post-Dated cheque as payment for a debt. The cheque was Post-Dated for April 15, 2004.

Approximately six weeks prior to the cashable date, I was informed by the person who wrote the cheque that she had closed the account on which the cheque was written and that she had no intention of issuing another cheque or repaying the debt.

I made no attempt to cash the cheque after receiving this information.

My question is this: Does this debt fall under the 2 year or the 6 year Statute of Limitations for legal purposes?

Thanks very much for your time,

Dave
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Feb 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Significant changes came into effect for limitation periods in Ontario on January 1, 2004.

The limitation period for most causes of action before this date is 6 years.

The limitation period for most causes of action after this date is 2 years.

Therefore, if you plan to file an action based on the "stop payment" cheque you are clearly statute barred. If, however, you file an action based on the loan you should be able to proceed provided any loan document you may have does not explicitly state a repayment date after January 1, 2004.

Be warned, if your debtor is savy, or well represented, or a trial judge scrutinizes the limitation aspect very closely, there could be possible issues as to when the cause of action actually arose.

With that being said, the only guarantee we can ever make with respect to the outcome of a matter is that if you do nothing you are guaranteed to get nothing. It may be worth taking a chance filing a lawsuit and seeing what happens (ie. The debtor may settle).

Feb 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Thank you very much for your time and expertise in this regard... I surely appreciate your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters

...snipped...

With that being said, the only guarantee we can ever make with respect to the outcome of a matter is that if you do nothing you are guaranteed to get nothing. It may be worth taking a chance filing a lawsuit and seeing what happens (ie. the debtor may settle).
    Amen to that... ;)

Again, many thanks,

Dave
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 10:45 PM
    I agree with Justice Matters.

Just want to add if the loan is for a small amount, it might not be worth it to sue.

Best advice is to sue on the loan, because if you sue on the posted dated cheque, that SOL ran out in April 2006.

Feb 21, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hi CaptainForest,

Thank you for your input. The amount in question is just shy of $10,000.00 (ten thousand dollars), so I think I'll arrange for a day in court... if only to inconvenience the debtor in some small way.. ;)

I appreciate your time and keystrokes on my behalf,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I agree with Justice Matters.

Just want to add if the loan is for a small amount, it might not be worth it to sue.

Best advice is to sue on the loan, b/c if you sue on the posted dated cheque, that SOL ran out in April 2006.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 07:22 PM
    I just happened to see this issue and wondered how it turned out?

At the time the others, responded, I would have posed the following question.

Was there a promissory note or some form of contract setting out the terms of the debt?
    Was the loan in default at the time the post dated cheque was tendered?

If the loan was in default at the time the post dated cheque was given, the default cured by the cheque occurs when the post dated cheque is cashed. As the cheque was not cashed, the last date of acknowledgment of the debt was the date you received the post dated cheque. It could be argued that the post dated cheque induced you not to proceed on that date. This was prior to the change from 6 years to 2 years on January 1, 2004. It would be my view that the limitation period is 6 years. April 2003 to April 2009.

A different perspective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Fl Debt Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for more information on Florida's Statute of Limitations for debt collection. How long is it really? I have a debt that has not been touched since 1998, so as far as I understand, it should no longer show on my credit report no matter what as of 2002? (I also was not absent from the...

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask limitations on credit card debt for Ontario. My daughter has this credit card debt back from 2003 (last time she made a payment). She is trying to clear up this debt now, so she called the lender. She gave them all her current info work etc etc. She advised them she would like...

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

I went to renew my license in NY state and there is a hold from NM for a failure to appear for DWI from 1994.:eek: they said they" just updated their computers to add me to the system". The clerk I spoke to in NM said I "must pay bond" and "appear in NM" to resolve this issue.:mad: can I have...

View more questions Search