Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
    911 Dispatcher
    Hi there,

I have an interview for a 911 Dispatch job and want some advice. Perferrably from someone that has gone through it since they are sort of specific questions.

-How is the CritiCall testing? What does it involve? Why is it two hours? Any advice on how to ace that?

-I read that there is a 10-week in-house academy. I'm really nervous about that because its far out of town and afraid I won't be home much. That makes me really nervous.

-How is the interview?

Thanks in advance.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Hi ChihuahuaMomma

I have no experience with this at all, but googled it real quick and came up with a few sites that should help a little... ;)

For example:

Any practice test for 911 Operator? 10 points for the best answer!? - Yahoo! Answers

CritiCall and the Dispatcher Applicant: F.A.Q.

911 Dispatcher Interview Tips - Get Sample Scenario Questions & Answers | Police Exam Tips

Just something to get you started while waiting for others with experience to pop in and help!

Good luck on the interview/job!

Mark
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
    As a police officer we knew and worked closely with the 911 operators.

The test puts you under extreme stress to see how you will react.

When doing the school there is little but the school to have on your mind, Many are live at schools where you stay there. On the ones where you come home, time will be study and home work normally.
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
    As a police officer we knew and worked closely with the 911 operators.

The test puts you under extreme stress to see how you will react.

When doing the school there is little but the school to have on your mind, Many are live at schools where you stay there. On the ones where you come home, time will be study and home work normally.
    Vision Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Chuck---How do they expect someone who's married or in a serious relationship to spend 10 weeks away from their spouse? THat's a bit extreme to me.
    Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Let me see when I went to the Fed Academy in Glynco I was away 12 weeks, I did get to either go home or have visits on the weekend ( except two)

When I did the GA state Academy it was 8 weeks, at their location, we could leave the school in the evening, but had to be back by 10pm, But then we had to study almost every evening.

But yes that is just what they expect. It is considered to see if you are dedicated.

Remember this is not like "regular" or normal jobs. If the person who is to relieve you is not there, you can't leave till they get someone in. So if you are suppose to get off work at 7pm, and someone does not show up or calls in sick, you may have to stay another 4 hours till someone from the next shift comes in early.
    Vision Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
    That's exactly how my job is now. I can't leave until my releief comes in otherwise its considered abandonment.

I talked to my friend that does dispatch in another county and she said that academy is close to home and you aren't required to stay there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a lightset for Hampton Bay model 409-960/911-720/911-71 ceiling fan? [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I find a lightset for hampton bay model 409-960/911-720/911-71 ceiling fan?

If you call 911 and tell them you think someone is [ 11 Answers ]

Driving drunk. Can you be sued for slander?

Emergency 911 [ 7 Answers ]

Why do almost all the people on this site take things so seriously. I have looked at many different questions, and there are people, oh you do this, or that, or talk this way, or ask that, then you are no longer welcome here, or we will ban you. I mean, come on. Are you all grown ups, or trying to...

911 for real [ 2 Answers ]

Can a unborn child have any effcets will you are taken mental pills for depershon and bypoler and add

911 song [ 9 Answers ]

Really need the name of a country song that was recorded after 911! Something about "do you remember where you were" Was not Garth Brooks, not Lee Greenwood... not anyone we can think of! HELP! :)

View more questions Search