Nov 30, 2004, 04:27 PM
    math question - factoring
    anybody know how to factor this?

3x^2 + 3x - 2 =0

thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2004, 05:06 PM
    Make a table of all possible factors of 3X^2 and -2.

3X,X;-3X,-X
    -2,1;2,-1

I can't find any combination of factors that will yield +3X. Not all expressions have intragel factors.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 1, 2004, 05:01 PM
    There is not a "nice" solution...
    ... however, factorization IS possible.

All right, as english is not my prime language I can't talk well in english about maths, so try to follow me on this.

First of all, to see that the factorization IS possible, lets look at the graph of the function. It's minimal value is for x=-(1/2) and f(x):=3x^2 + 3x - 2
    => f( -(1/2) ) < 0. As a coefficient next to the "biggest" power is positive (3*x^2) that means that function grows when going to the left and right from the point x=-(1/2). Which means it intersects with the X at two points.

Now if we took a standard formula for solving equations of form:
    a*x^2 + b*x + c = 0
    which (formula) looks like:
    x1 = ( -b + square root( b^2 - 4*a*c ) ) / 2*a
    x2 = ( -b - square root( b^2 - 4*a*c ) ) / 2*a

and applied it to our polynom f(x)
    we would get:
    x1 = ( -3 + square root( 33 ) ) / 6
    and
    x2 = ( -3 - square root( 33 ) ) / 6

Now that means that f(x) = ( x - x1 ) * ( x - x2 ) * 3 ( 3 comes because of the coefficient next to the "biggest" power (3*x^2) )

End result:
    3*x^2 + 3x - 2 = ( x + ( 3 - sqrt( 33 ) ) / 6 )*( x + ( 3 + sqrt( 33 ) ) / 6 )*3
    = ( 6x + 3 + sqrt( 33 ) ) * ( 6x + 3 - sqrt( 33 ) ) / 12 = 0

As I said, not nice at all, but its right.

Kresho
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2004, 05:36 PM
    Kresho's answer is correct, but not easy to do. Most math teachers would accept the answer of no integral solution.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 2, 2004, 08:48 AM
    That's right.

All problems of that sort have a solution in a set of complex numbers (numbers of type x + I*y) (which is often called set "C").
    If we want a solution in a set of real numbers (numbers with no imaginary part) (which is often called set "R"), we cannot guarantee we will always have a solution.
    If we want a solution in a set of integers (numbers like 1,2,3... or -1,-2,-3... ) (which is often called set "Z") we will have even less "solvable" problems.

Also, notice that set Z is a subset of set R and R is a subset of set C.

Well, that's just a little info, maybe not really useful.

Kresho

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra 2 help-factoring completely... [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble with a problem, I have to factor the problems down as far as possible, yet I am not too sure how to do it... here are a few problems that I would like some help with: b24 - 625 (24 is in the powers position) 10,000- x8 (8 is in the powers position also) Any help...

Math help please [ 6 Answers ]

I just wanted some helf to know the difference between factors and multiples and there similarities

Simplification by factoring [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am studying to write an entrance exam. As I have been out of school for quite awhile I do not remember how to do this. Here is an example of a question. ((Bsqurd-4)(A+7))/((Bsqurd-2)(2A+14))= I do not need the actual answer just a refresher on how to do this. Any help would be...

Factoring for x-intercepts [ 3 Answers ]

How would you find the x-intercepts of y=3x^2-6X by factoring? Thanks

Need a help with this math [ 1 Answers ]

$75 billion in $1 bills and stack them up, how many miles tall would this stack be? Thank's for help. ::)

View more questions Search