Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisadeli901 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Divorced parents
    My husband's daughter is getting married. Her mother is not married, but living with someone. At the wedding the daughter would like her mom and dad to dance together. Is this proper etiquette. My husband wanted me to find out the correct procedure. Thank you
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 07:45 AM
    If the parents are married, they always dance together.

There is nothing improper about divorced couples dancing together. The proper conduct is for the couples (you and your husband, the ex and the boyfriend) to dance with each other.

The real question is, how comfortable your husband and his ex feel about doing this, AND, if you and his ex's boyfriend don't have a problem with this. If your husband or his ex are not comfortable with this, or if you and/or the boyfriend are not comfortable with this, then it should not be done.

This is the bride's special day and to a certain degree it is a fantasy day for her. She wants everyone to be happy and she wants it to be her perfect day. But, she should be sensitive to everyone's feelings and should not force something that could prove to be uncomfortable for the parties involved. If this is the case, either her mother or father, should explain to her that they love her, but it makes them uncomfortable to do this. They should assure her that they do not want anything to mar her special day. And, point out, that her insisting on this, could possibly do that.

If after this discussion with her parents, she still insists on this, then she needs a good friend of hers to intervene and explain to her that she is being unreasonable in her request and to get over it.

Under no circumstances should you or the ex's boyfriend have a discussion with her. It will only create an atmosphere of animosity from her that neither of you needs and will create tension on the wedding day. This must come from her parents or a trusted friend or third party.

But, if there is no problem with anyone involved, then as I stated earlier, it is not improper for divorced couples to dance with each other. It is considered a sweet gesture, burying their personal problems with each other for the sake of their daughter.

I hope this helps.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 20, 2007, 08:02 AM
    I would like to emphasize this in Ruby's most excellent answer. Etiquette is one thing, personal desire concerning other poeple's behaviors is yet another. For a really happy day, sometimes its best to relax a bit on both actually?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Val, I need to spread the love. Good point made.

Lisa, I wasn't sure if you were looking for the short answer, or if there was something more behind your asking the question, which is why I was so long winded.

The short answer is yes, it is proper etiquette.

And, if two people (including their significant others) can manage to bury the hatchet for one day and not harbor ill feelings afterward, it is a nice and thoughtful thing to do for the bride's special day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he divorced? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister-in-law filed for divorce from my brother about 2 years ago. My brother never signed any papers or cooporated with her lawyer. Now he decides he wants to marry again. How and where would he go to find out if he is divorced, without having to contact his ex, so he can remarry?

Wedding Ettiquette for Divorced Parents [ 3 Answers ]

All the information I have found re: wedding etiquette for divorced parents is about the BRIDE'S parents. What about the groom's parents? My friend's son is getting married in Aug. She is in the middle of a very difficult process of divorce and is definitely not on speaking terms with her...

Still not divorced [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for over a year now. He has been separated from his wife for over a year and a half. They are going for a dissolutionment, but not has happened yet. How long should I wait for a commitment? I know he does not love her, but how can I speed things up?

Divorced? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to see if my friend really is divorced without paying for detective fees? Are there data bases to view?:confused:

Married 23 Years/Divorced/Parents [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was married 23 years :o... I got married when I was 16... Now I am divorced... A divorce that I wanted... My problem is now that my ex is dating someone else my parents act like they just can't believe that I am not jealous... I don't understand it because I am also dating someone... I...

View more questions Search