Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susanmart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Non compete clause?
    I was laid off 9 months ago with the assumption I would come back to work for them. The time has come and they are asking me to sign a non-compete that I did not have before. I'm concerned that I would be laid off again in the future. How can I protect myself. Can I ask for a severance package to be added to it, and if so what amount is acceptable?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Without knowing the industry and job market and where you live it's impossible to come up with a dollar figure.

Non-competes aren't necessarily legal.

You protect yourself by having an Attorney review anything/everything you sign.
    susanmart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
    I am a property manager. I understand in this field, management companies want to protect themselves. The non compete is not stopping me from working for another company, it is stopping me from working on any of there clients properties or the property I will be working on. A severance package in the non compete would make me feel more comfortable. If the non compete is for one year, is a six month severance unacceptable?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susanmart View Post
    ... If the non compete is for one year, is a six month severance unacceptable?
    If they offer you six-month severance, offer a six-month non-compete.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susanmart View Post
    I am a property manager. I understand in this field, management companies want to protect themselves. The non compete is not stopping me from working for another company, it is stopping me from working on any of there clients properties or the property I will be working on. A severance package in the non compete would make me feel more comfortable. If the non compete is for one year, is a six month severance unacceptable?
    So what they want is to protect themselves from having you hired by the owners of the property they manage terminating their contracts? If that is the case, then ask that the agreement specify that you can work for another property manager, but that you cannot contact any of their clients for a period of x months after you are no longer working for them. You can also ask that the agreement specify that it does not apply if they terminate you or lay you off. Frankly, anything else would probably not be enforceable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No compete clause [ 4 Answers ]

Worked for Florida paving company as a field estimator. Didn't receive anything for signing a no compete clause and was terminated wrongfully after 11 months.Have asked for months for a copy(never received one) to no avail. I was told by one atty that if the no compete contract wasn't notorized, it...

Non-compete clause [ 10 Answers ]

I work for a non medical home health care facility here in South Dakota; I have had 30 years of experience in health care and decided to form my own company. In our local newspaper last Sunday I had a small article which promoted the beginning of my business venture to provide non-medical...

No Compete Clause [ 2 Answers ]

I need information about a no compete clause to be put into an existing lease. How specific and restrictive can it be?

No compete clause [ 5 Answers ]

How do you get out of this so you can work in your field

Non-compete clause [ 2 Answers ]

If a salesman signed a non-compete clause in the industrial industry 6 1/2 years ago and the contract terms have changed without signing a new non-compete clause is it enforceable? He is not privy to "trade secrets".

View more questions Search