Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddy20e Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Probability
    Emily flips a coin ten times. She expects it to land on tails five of the times. However, it only lands tails three of the times. Why did the results not match what Emily expected (the theoretical probability)? Explain
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
    You may not care for the actual answer to your question. She did not get what she expected because she does not fully understand probability. She may have thought that each time she flips a coin she has a 50/50 chance of landing on heads. That does not mean flipping 10x will give you 5 heads. Here is the simplest explanation I have found for you. Probability

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability help [ 5 Answers ]

A biometric security device using fingerprints erroneously refuses to admit 1 in 1,000 authorized persons from a facility containing classified information. The device will erroneously admit 1 in 1,000,000 unauthorized persons. Assume that 95 percent of those who seek access are authorized. If the...

Probability [ 5 Answers ]

A ten digit number is formed using the digits from zero to nine,every digit being used only once.find the probability that the number is divisible by 4

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Probability Help [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out if I did my homework correctly. The question is: Consider the experiment of rolling two dice. The outcome on each die can be any number of dots from 1 to 6. The dice are specially manufactured such that the probability of an even number (of dots) is twice that...

View more questions Search