Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Gallbladder problems
    I posted last November that my dog had pancreatitis - but the lab work didn't match the symptoms. She got really sick over the weekend, back on IV's, sort of touch and go, stablized her, sent her home.

Today "we" went in for ultrasounds... and it's her gallbladder. The Vet, because of her age - she's 8 - is not rushing into surgery. She's on an antiobiotic, pain pills, Vitamin D, a prescription which I haven't picked up from the Pharmacy yet but which I believe cuts down the activity of the gallbladder, and thistle weed.

So she is no fat, high protein, lots of vegetables (this is going to be fun!) and medication for 30 days and then "we" get ultrasounded again.

Any experience or thoughts from my dog-loving friends?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Have you ever looked into animal acupuncture? If you're anywhere near a city, there should be at least one practitioner floating around. From the U of MD web site: "Acupuncture may be especially helpful in pain relief, reducing spasm, and easing bile flow and proper liver and gallbladder function."
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
    No, I never gave that a thought. I will. My lab had accupuncture treatments for several years and I was pleased with the result. I'm definitely going to look into that.

(And now I hope I can sleep nights.)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Have the practitioner stick a few needles into you too (your ear lobe, I think) for improved sleep...
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
    One of our veterinarians had acupuncture treatments done on one of her dogs and the difference was pretty amazing.
    Also if you'll be trying canned veggies, string beans (no salt added) are very palatable. We've suggested often for weight control and the dogs seem to love them. Plus it's added fiber and will help her to "feel" fuller.
    Raw baby carrots are a favorite snack for our pit.
    Is the same dog with the recent ear problems? Poor girl.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Thanks - the beans are a great idea. Carrots - she's not too enthused.

No, it's the OTHER dog with the ear problems.

They have both kept me hopping this winter.
    klarsenartwork Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jul 25, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I posted last November that my dog had pancreatitis - but the lab work didn't match the symptoms. She got really sick over the weekend, back on IV's, sort of touch and go, stablized her, sent her home.

Today "we" went in for ultrasounds ... and it's her gallbladder. The Vet, because of her age - she's 8 - is not rushing into surgery. She's on an antiobiotic, pain pills, Vitamin D, a prescription which I haven't picked up from the Pharmacy yet but which I believe cuts down the activity of the gallbladder, and thistle weed.

So she is no fat, high protein, lots of vegetables (this is going to be fun!) and medication for 30 days and then "we" get ultrasounded again.

Any experience or thoughts from my dog-loving friends?
    Why is it difficult to feed a dog high protein, lots of vegetables? That is what they are suppose to eat!
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klarsenartwork View Post
    Why is it difficult to feed a dog high protein, lots of vegetables? That is what they are suppose to eat!

For starters my dog has died - this is an old thread.

She didn't want to eat or like vegetables. Again, that's for starters.

That's why it's difficult. I didn't know they were "suppose" to eat them but it didn't matter - (A) she didn't like them; (B) she's deceased.

I trust this answers your question(s).
    klarsenartwork Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jul 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    For starters my dog has died - this is an old thread.

She didn't want to eat or like vegetables. Again, that's for starters.

That's why it's difficult. I didn't know they were "suppose" to eat them but it didn't matter - (A) she didn't like them; (B) she's deceased.

I trust this answers your question(s).
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gallbladder problems [ 1 Answers ]

How do you stop a gallbladder attack?

Gallbladder problems [ 2 Answers ]

What do I need to stay away from if I have a bad gallbladder? And how can I stop the gallbladder attacks that cause my stomach to hurt so bad?

Gallbladder [ 3 Answers ]

Nausea,swollen stomach, pulsating pain between shoulder blades,burping.heart racing Hospital test was okay for no stones. But the squeeze test showed the gallbladder was Malfunctioning. One doctor said to remove it. Two doctors said for non-removal. But all said maybe the pain was being caused...

Gallbladder [ 1 Answers ]

For 10 years they have been working on opening my coronary arteries. But I still always had the same pain. A throbbing pain in the middle Of my back, nausea, stomach distended but no pain, burping, shortness of breath. Turns out To be my gallbladder all along. Other doctors told me the...

View more questions Search