Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glfirefly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
    LiveScan/Background checks
    I was convicted of a felony in 2005 for vandelism. I got my record expunged on March 8th. Everything was reduced and to a misdemeanor and dismissed. Even the guilty plea was set aside. When I was arrested years ago around 2005 will that still show up? Even after I had everything expunged? Also, how do you seal a record?
    I just did a live scan and background check will anything show up that will be surprising?
    Thanks,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
    It will not show up except to law enforcement and national security background searches

Mar 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
    Unfortuntly, it did show up! Even as a felony and I did not get the job, it isn't anyone's fault but my own. Just to know it showed as if it never cleared, and they said they could not insure me. They asked for 7 year clearance I have that, but it still showed
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
    It should not show up as a felony if it was really reduced, you need to hire an attorney and present the court records showing it was reduced.

What type of job was it, government or private sector

Mar 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
    No, it wasn't a government job, it was for a private sector, like those Home care agency. I even gave them the court documents that showed it was dismissed, and it was passed the 7 years. They told me it was because of insurance reasons they couldn't hire me.
    I wish some one would really look into this matter. Companies are really being judgmental and critical towards any type of background check. Regardless of the time they are asking for, it is just unreal. No second chances, I guess.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glfirefly View Post
    no, it wasn't a government job, it was for a private sector, like those Home care agency. I even gave them the court documents that showed it was dismissed, and it was passed the 7 years. they told me it was because of insurance reasons they couldn't hire me.
    I wish some one would really look into this matter. Companies are really being judgmental and critical towards any type of background check. Regardless of the time they are asking for, it is just unreal. No second chances, I guess.

Insurance premiums and ratings are based on insurance experience with certain people. It's much the same with auto insurance. You are considered a risk, unfortunately. These are the possible issues people don't consider when they commit a crime. By the time they become aware of the ramifications, it's too late.

Mar 31, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Yes, that is what they told me, even though I got it expunged, "knowing" about it is still a big risk.
    I never have been in trouble for more than a traffic ticket in my whole life! I was house sitting for a lady years ago and thought this guy was coming over to see me, and to find out he was robbing the house blind! Since I was the responsible party I was charged.
    There was evidence that he was there, but none the less I plead no contest. Lots of charges and crap and ruining my career, NOT WORTH it. For anyone. The guy ended up marrying some one else, and I'm left with a felony charge on my record. Ugh. They removed the no contest plea, after I paid all the fees and fines, and completed all feloney requirements 7yrs later and reduced the charges to a misdemeaner, dismissed.. not sure how long it takes to reach DOJ though
    The facts of life we learn.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2012, 08:33 AM
    - and I'm sure you know now that once you enter a plea you are considered guilty. Hope someone else reads this and learns from your experience.

Mar 31, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Yes, it just kept me from possibly going to prison. That is what scared me, the public defender said I could do 5 years in women prison. I plea No contest, it is a guilty plea. Instead I got about $5,000 in restitution fees, and court fines, 2yr probation, felony terms, 90days which I got house arrest and only did 3days jail time, and a felony record. No one will even hire she said even if it is a misdemeanor, beware. Follow the Rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background checks [ 3 Answers ]

If one is arrested and booked but not convicted will it show on their background?

Background checks [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering how far back a employer looking to hire a person can go back in years, I had a felony in 1996 will this show up on my background check?

Background checks [ 2 Answers ]

How far back do an employer go on your criminal background check

Background checks [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this one? Does the UK immigration do background checks on visitors to the country at their time of airport arrival?

View more questions Search