Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    revathiravie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
    How to file tax for newly married H1B visa holder and wife on H4 visa
    I'm working in US for the past 3 years and I got married on OCT 19 in India. My wife came here on March in H4 Visa. Please help me in filing tax for H1 visa jointly with my wife.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
    You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $11,600 joint standard deduction plus two $3,700 personal exemptions (for yourself and your wife).

To apply for an ITIN, you need to complete Form W-7 for your wife. You need to make a photocopy of her passport, then get the photocopy notarized. This can be done at your local bank in most states in the U.S.

She WILL have to sign a statement that she CHOOSES to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2011.

The only downside is that you must declare ALL 2011 world-wide income (wife's home country income, if applicable). There is an offset available by either claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is an approperiate tax form to file for H1B visa holder? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Can some one help me in knowing the difference between the 1040 EZ and 1040NR-EZ forms? Am on a H1B visa, working in u.s from nov 2008. I need to file my tax for year 2008. Am consufed which of the forms do I need to file. Few people are filing the 1040NR-EZ , and few are doing...

Can h1b visa employer apply for the h1b visa holder and his wife at the same time ? [ 0 Answers ]

My husband has h1b visa should my husband get the green card first then I apply to the green card or the emplyoer can apply for both of us at the same time p.s I am and usa with my husband

Can h1b visa employer apply for the h1b visa holder and his wife at the same time ? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has h1b visa should my husband get the green card first then I apply to the green card or the emplyoer can apply for both of us at the same time p.s I am and usa with my husband

How to file taxes for H1B visa holder and wife on visiting visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I got married on 20th Nov 2010. My wife was in USA for 8 days. Then she went back to UK where she has a job and is paying taxes there. We will be living apart till 2012. Now, 2 questions: 1) Assuming I will be filing taxes married but not jointly, so how should I get my salary in...

H1B visa holder, file as single head of household or married? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently on an H-1B visa and spouse on H-4 therefore she doesn't have a SSN and no job. Is it better to have my W4 and eventually yearly tax as single, head of household? If I do this can I still enter a 1 on line C on the W-4 for spouse? Or the second option should I apply for a TIN and...

View more questions Search