Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icemanfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Honda Civic 88 pressure test
    Hi.

I have read the FAQ and found useful info, however I would like to be sure about the following before replacing the fuel pump.

This car sat for a month and when cranked, did start, ran for 10 secs, then shut off, now I have checked spark, fuel filter even timing belt, everything OK, the fuel pump starts for the known 2 secs so I tested the pressure attaching a pressure gauge to the service port switch position to the pressure gets to almost 40 (I believe that is the rated flow for this engine 1.5L) I jumped the main relay cables to have the pump running continuously and the pressure regulator keeps it at 40 PSI which I believe is right, now for the fun part when I have someone to crank it while I watch the pressure the gauge, which is new stainless liquid filled, the pressure drops to 20 psi with every combustion attempt. So basically the pump stays around 20 while the engine is being cranked, then if you stop the pressure raises again to around 35. The pressure holds for several minutes but eventually drops to near cero.

I believe the pump is not working quite right, I mean is weak, there is also the fuel gauge, when first tried to start the engine the fuel gauge marked over half a tank, but when I checked with a hose inserted all the way it returned dry, so my guess is the fuel gauge is bad an the pump ran with a near dry tank so it got damaged. By the way to do the pressure test I added 3 gallons to be safe.

So what do you guys think, it's the pump really faulty or should I check something else

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
    See if doing this would help decide if there's a problem:

The fuel filter should be replaced 1) every 4 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, or 2) whenever the fuel pressure drops below 40-47 psi, with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched, after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK.
    icemanfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 01:29 AM
    Hi and thanks for taking the time, the fuel filter is new, now as for that test the pressure gets to 35 when the switch is set to position to the first time and without cranking it, when it gets cranked it drops to 20, 25 with little jumps on the gauge. The only way to make it go higher is by pinching the return fuel line then it gets to around 30. If you repeat the on to position 2 then off then on again then the gauge gets to 40 but no further this of course without cranking.

So right now I'm headed to a pump replacement for next weekend unless I have something else to test.

This place is really great for Diyers, if you give something else to test I'll do it if not I'll let you know about the pump replacement and by the way, if I got someone to crank it again I'll make a video for YouTube and post the link here.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda Civic passed emissions test but failed MIL/Check Engine light [ 2 Answers ]

My 2000 Honda Civic EX had a smog test and it passed the emissions but failed the engine computer test, so they say. They told me to drive the car 30 to 40 miles so that the computer would reset. Sounds a bit strange to me to have to drive that many miles to reset the car computer after the...

1992 Honda Civic Dx,how Do You Test Igniter? [ 1 Answers ]

How Do You Test Ithe Igniter?

Fuel Pump Pressure For Honda Civic 00 [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know which is the desire fuel pump pressure for my honda civic 2000 according to the manufacturer.

Test a pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

How do you test a pressure tank?:o

Water pressure test [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a water pressure test. I know Tom mentioned it a couple times but I couln't find it. I am having a problem with my new dishwasher not cleaning (I had a plumber install the dishwasher from scratch). Knowing that the people before us didn't always do things right I want to make sure...

View more questions Search