Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slpless123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Changing locks
    It has been over a month since my husband left. He feels he can just stop by whenever he wants. When can I change the locks. I live in Pennsylvania
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Who owns the house?

Have you filed for a divorce, a restraining order, something to keep him out?

You cannot legally change the locks.

On a personal note - he seems to have the best of both Worlds. He gets to go wherever he wants to go and drop in at the house whenever he wants.

I'd get an Attorney.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... You cannot legally change the locks.
    I disagree. If he moved out a month ago, he is by no stretch of the imagination a "tenant", so to change the locks could not be an illegal ouster in violation of a landlord-tenant act. Especially if OP has an ownership interest in the house, but even if she doesn't, as an occupant she has the right to change the locks so as to provide herself some measure of security.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
    I can only tell you in NY - I was getting divorced. He moved out (by verbal agreement). I was told that if I didn't want to hand him abandonment as grounds I had no right to change the locks until I advised him by mail that I intended to do so on a certain date.

I was also told that if I changed the locks and he broke the door down to get in the Police would do nothing because it was also his home - right up until I had him ordered out.

Very well may be different in other States.

If she locks him out I say she will not get anyone to help her if he decides to come back in.

Do we know which State?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I disagree. If he moved out a month ago, he is by no stretch of the imagination a "tenant", so to change the locks could not be an illegal ouster in violation of a landlord-tenant act. Especially if OP has an ownership interest in the house, but even if she doesn't, as an occupant she has the right to change the locks so as to provide herself some measure of security.
    I would agree with you if this was a landlord/tenant issue. But its not, it's a divorce issue. We do not know who owns the property or who is the leaseholder. We do not know whether divorce has been filed for or not. Without knowing these things we can't realistically advise whether the OP can change the locks or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights changing locks to keep landlord out without our knowledge? [ 7 Answers ]

We think our landlord has been coming in our home without our permission. Also, she has access to our storage building which has our GolfCart and Gas Grill in it. I don't want her to have access to this without OUR knowledge. We would def. let her in, but I want to be there and to know she is going...

Roommate changing the locks when I'm on the least [ 1 Answers ]

Afer moving in to my new pace nov1 my roommate changed the locks on me and the landlord said that she took me off the lease and the landlord is refusing to give me my last months deposite and rent money back.

Changing from standard A/C units to inverters, is changing the copper lines mandatory [ 0 Answers ]

I have wall embedded copper lines through several properties that want to switch to the new daikin inverters for a/c. Must I change all these copper lines?

Changing Locks on House [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of two and a half years broke up about a month ago. We both bought a house together and he moved out of it upon breaking up with me. I can't get him to come here to talk to see what we are going to do with everything as both of our names are on the house, truck, bills, etc. I...

Changing of locks [ 3 Answers ]

I wanted to know is it legal for a landlord to change the locks and lockout a tenant without going to court?

View more questions Search