Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex1491 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 01:31 AM
    Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ?
    I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?
    sammyjk1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 02:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1491
    I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?
    YES
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Not necessarily.

If you itemized in your 2005 federal tax return, then, yes, the state tax refund is considered taxable income for 2006.

If you did NOT itemize, then the refund is NOT taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Foreign Tax Deductions Against MD State Tax Liability [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in London for 8 months out of the year. I worked in Maryland the other 4 months. I know how to use foreign tax credits on my federal and social security liabilities. Is there any way to use foreign tax credits against my Maryland State and Local Tax liability? These taxes are for...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search