Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
    He is adorable, Nothing like a cute, cuddly pup to bring a smile.
    He's a lucky boy. And Chewy is pretty darn cute too.
    I'm partial to beagles. They are my favorite, although at the moment I am beagleless
    Is that a word?
    Anyway what a cutie!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Tarantulas are too big to fit into most vacuum hoses. :p
    Thanks for the sweet dreams Odinn!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Not a problem! Any time I can help, just let me know...
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2012, 04:57 AM
    Tarantulas are too big to fit into most vacuum hoses. :p
    Well that depends on the size of the pieces they are in when you start to vacuum them up... I am unashamed of smashing a spider or four... ::shudder::
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 27, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Well this thread has turned really sad. Not that that's a bad thing. It's a place to talk about everything. Your joys, your sorrows. But, I am going to lighten the mood.

We got a new addition. We simply couldn't stand the quiet in the house, and we're not a one dog family, never were. We were going to wait until we were done grieving, but this fell into our laps, and we made the decision to follow our hearts. Boy am I glad we did.

I'm still mourning Jasper, but now there's a little something that can and does put a smile on my face, and it really does feel like forever since I smiled.

So meet Rascal, our newest addition.

He's a border collie cross, around 8 weeks old. He came for a farm. Farmer had an accidental litter and the puppies were free to a good home. Well, we're a good home.:)

Here are a few pictures.

The kids, Chewy, Rod and I, are very happy to welcome him to our home.

Attachment 39918

Attachment 39919

Attachment 39920

Rascal is simply adorable. Very sweet I can see why he brings a smile to your face.
    Cats Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
    What a day!!
    My off day and I spent it apparently trying to do myself in.
    My boyfriend and my daughters boyfriend are working on the roof today and I, being the good hostess decided to cook for them.
    I had a beautiful butternut squash to fix and while slicing it to cook I managed to take a chunk out of the heel of my hand on the mandolin slicer.
    Not enough to hit the Urgent care just enough to hurt like h, e, double hockey sticks and bleed enough to illicit an offering of blood from my daughters boyfriend if I needed a transfusion.
    I wish I'd never seen that d**n squash.
    Then up to the roof to check on progress, after discussing the plan with the men folk, I misstep and you know it, right through the roof on the outside of the house.
    One second safe and sound the next on the ground with 4 dogs gathered round to check me out.
    That was only 5:00 and I'm ready to just go back to bed, what's the worst that could happen.
    All in all not so bad, nothing broken and we all got a good laugh afterward.
    I'm so glad I'm working tomorrow I don't think I can take another day at home.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    What a day!!!
    My boyfriend and my daughters boyfriend are working on the roof today and I, being the good hostess decided to cook for them.
    I had a beautiful butternut squash to fix and while slicing it to cook I managed to take a chunk out of the heel of my hand on the mandolin slicer.
    Not enough to hit the Urgent care just enough to hurt like h, e, double hockey sticks and bleed enough to illicit an offering of blood from my daughters boyfriend if I needed a transfusion.
    Then up to the roof to check on progress, after discussing the plan with the men folk, I misstep and you know it, right through the roof on the outside of the house.
    One second safe and sound the next on the ground with 4 dogs gathered round to check me out.
    That was only 5:00 and I'm ready to just go back to bed, what's the worst that could happen.
    OMG! That's awful! I'm worn out just reading that! It wasn't a good day for you, that's for sure. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Get some rest... have a drink (if you drink) and get everyone to cater to you tonight.
    Cats Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    OMG! That's awful! I'm worn out just reading that! It wasn't a good day for you, that's for sure. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Get some rest...have a drink (if you drink) and get everyone to cater to you tonight.
    Having that drink now, who knew cooking and supervising could be so dangerous?
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Having that drink now, who knew cooking and supervising could be so dangerous?
    Been there, done that, and got the scar to prove it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Ha! You Googled it, didn't you? LOL...not too many people know off the top of their head what a Haplopelma is.

They do make nice, quiet, and easy to care for pets...but yes, they need live food so I can understand what you're saying.

Really though...adorable little puppy.
    LOL! Actually Odinn, I didn't Google. A long time ago, when I was much younger than I am now, I dated an entomologist. Of course he wasn't an entomologist then, but he is now, and we're still very good friends. Because of him I probably know more about spiders (which I adore) then most people.

If you googled his name you'd actually find out that he's one of the top entomologists in the country. No, not Canada, actually in the US, even though he is Canadian, born and raised, educated, and actually lived around 10 minutes from my house when I was younger. I won't mention his full name here (I don't have his permission), and his full name would get your around 50 pages of Google links, but, if you Google "brent the bug guy", you'll get plenty. :)

Back when the networks were on strike he even did Leno, brought a bunch of his bug friends along. Don't know if you can still view the show on the net, I know I had trouble the last time I tried.

Because of him I've learned more about spiders that I probably care to know. But I've always found them fascinating. I'd love to have one, but Rod is a wuss! ;)
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
    What a day!!!
    Holy crap on a stick! You sound like me! Sam, I'm beginning to think we're two peas in a pod. I often say that if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any!

Glad you're okay. Stay off the roof, and stay away from squash. Just the name alone should be reason enough. I'm sure they don't call it "squash" for no reason. ;)
    Cats Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Holy crap on a stick! You sound like me! Sam, I'm beginning to think we're two peas in a pod. I often say that if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any!

Glad you're okay. Stay off the roof, and stay away from squash. Just the name alone should be reason enough. I'm sure they don't call it "squash" for no reason. ;)
    A little accident prone too are you?
    This morning I grabbed a hot pan, so I am treating myself to an ice pack and some Oreos with milk.
    I think I'm down to folding laundry and watching TV, since there is not a soul here to drive to the hospital at the moment.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 07:42 AM
    A little accident prone are too ya?
    This morning I grabbed a hot pan, so I am treating myself to an ice pack and some Oreos with milk.
    I think I'm down to folding laundry and watching TV, since there is not a soul here to drive to the hospital at the moment.
    LS, is the laundry already out of the dryer?

Please, take care. Let others put the clothes away. Drawers can be dangerous (says the woman who got a splinter from one.) ;)

Group hug for everyone. :)
    Cats Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    LS, is the laundry already out of the dryer?

Please, take care. Let others put the clothes away. Drawers can be dangerous (says the woman who got a splinter from one.) ;)

Group hug for everyone. :)
    Oh dear, between the threat of splinters and dryer injury maybe I should just take a nap.
    With my luck this weekend I'm scared of lacerating myself with a zipper or worse.

Thanks for the giggle.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Oh dear, between the threat of splinters and dryer injury maybe I should just take a nap.
    With my luck this weekend I'm scared of lacerating myself with a zipper or worse.

Thanks for the giggle.
    You're welcome.

If the sky is as gray in your part of the state as it is here, napping sounds like a great idea.

Being accident prone does make a good excuse to be lazy. ;)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Oh my gosh! You fell through your roof LS? Well I hope your weekend went better! I can't believe your day. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing with you ;) I am also accident prone. If there is a hazard anywhere, you better believe I'm going to find it.
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Sam, I would definitely stay away from the laundry. It can be deadly. You really don't want to take any chances. In fact, stay away from cooking too, order in. :)
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
    I've got a major dilemma going on and I, for once, don't know how to handle it. Hoping some of you could shed some light. Here goes, hope it makes sense.

Two little kids have been in and out of CPS for all of their short lives. Girl is 8, boy is 10. They've been positive for marijuana, coke, meth, etc. Not because they are actively using it, but when they were younger mom was breast feeding. My friend, I'll call her Natasha, is a nurse who works with me and her husband works at the jail. They are the aunt and uncle to these children and are stand up citizens.

Natasha and her husband had legal custody of these children 3 times in their lives, the longest being an entire year. Recently their mother was in a drug/alcohol related car accident and died. Their father was in jail at the time. This time it was for driving without a license and not a drug related charge. Well, the judge let Dad out of jail to take care of these kids rather than passing them off to a more stable relative.

This all happened a week ago this past Thursday. Now Dad is having parties at his house, meth parties, morphine parties, etc. Their electricity is about to be turned off. Well, to go on, Natasha and several other members of the family have called CPS, but they will do nothing at this point. Their words to Natasha were... "So what is your concern?"

My mother-in-law used to teach 4th grade but now is retired an volunteers her time as a CASA. Natasha and I have followed her instructions step-by-step to have these children removed from the home, but CPS doesn't seem to have the time.

I just don't know what else to do at this point. If any of you can help that would be great, if you can't, that's great too, just support our efforts in getting these children to safety.
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
    J, I have no actual help, I only have sadness that this is being allowed to continue. CPS is a joke. I've never had to deal with them at all, not individually (thankfully), and never in any other capacity. As such I have rose colored glasses on and always thought they put the kids first. That's obviously not the case here. This is a wake up call. I may never utter the words "call CPS" again. :(

I can only offer my support, hugs, and hope that these kids are placed with the people that should have them, and obviously want them.

It makes me sick. You need a license to catch a fish, or buy a dog, but any idiot can have a child. It's sickening.

I'm giving you my support, and wishing that I could do more. If there's anything you need, anything, anything at all, tell me, and if I have the power to do it, I'm there.

(hugs)
    Expert

Apr 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
    Thanks Alty, I just wish I knew what to do to help Natasha. My MIL and I have done all we can but until there is a life threatening situation apparently CPS has more important cases.

I guess I just don't understand this level of addiction. My kids are FIRST, plain and simple.

My brain hurts, my head hurts, my heart hurts. I think I'm going to drink a beer and go to bed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search