Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    ::clunk, off my soapbox::
    Hello Alty;

I don't care what Cliff said, I just adore you..

excon
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
    My goodness, $150 going in and no diagnostics. That is HIGH. Exam and X-rays at our clinic, about $170. If you were closer I'd give you directions. $1000 will get you an ACL repair where I work. And our surgeon is damn good.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Alty;

I don't care what Cliff said, I just adore you..

excon
    Exy, you just made me smile,when all I feel like doing is cry. Thank you! :)

I adore you too! Screw Cliff. Well, not unless I'm paid a lot of money, but that's for another thread. ;)
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    My goodness, $150 going in and no diagnostics. That is HIGH. Exam and X-rays at our clinic, about $170. If you were closer I'd give you directions. $1000 will get you an ACL repair where I work. And our surgeon is damn good.
    I have to say, I think in Canada we get the short end of the stick when it comes to vet care. Vet care is expensive. Human care, when it comes to medical, doctors visits, even surgery, is free, covered by our healthcare system. But vet care is astronomical. I was shocked when other members that have rabbits told me that the cost to neuter their rabbit was less then $100. It cost me $300, and that was the cheapest rabbit vet I could find.

When we euthanized Indy the cheapest rate we found (and I really hate that we had to shop around) was $150. That was only the euthanasia. We had to make other arrangements to cremate him, and thank Dog that we have a family member in the business, otherwise it would have cost us around $500-$1000 to have Indy euthanized and cremated. I make around $1000 a month where I work. I have kids, a mortgage, car payments, and a lot of animals that I've rescued. They're all taken care of, but one expense like that could destroy everything we have. We simply can't afford it, and we do everything we can for our animals and our kids. But what has to give? I have no problem going hungry, but can I do that to my kids? No. I have no problem living in a tent, but I can't choose that for my family, and frankly, if I did make that choice, I couldn't keep the animals I've rescued either.

It's a crap shoot. I rescue animals so that they're not euthanized, because I love animals. But, I'm not rich. If one of them gets sick, really sick, all of the rest are put in jeopardy, not to mention my kids, my husband, and even me.

The entire system is wrong.

When I was younger I babysat for our family vet. She lived in a mansion (at least compared to our family home, and we weren't poor, we were middle class). The thing I found odd. She's a vet, to this day. She had no pets. Not one. Not even a goldfish. She charged astronomical prices to treat pets, but obviously didn't love animals enough to even have a fish in her own home. She bred poodles. All the poodles she bred were cared for by others. They never had any human interaction. For all intents and purposes she was a high end breeder, with show quality dogs, that never actually cared about the dogs she bred. She was a high end puppy mill IMO.

It left a lasting impression, and considering the costs that my vet today charges, and I have the best vet I can afford, my views haven't changed much. I've decided that most vets don't give a damn about animals. They're in it for the money. If they cared about the animals, they'd give up their fancy cars and houses, live a good life, well above my means, and actually help the animals and the owners that come to them, instead of charging them up the a$$ for treatments that cost dollars to them.

It's just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I'm shaking because I know that Jasper needs to go to the vet, and it will cost us a bundle. We just went to money mart yesterday to pay the bills. Where is this money going to come from. How much is the vet going to charge this time? It could be thousands. We don't have it, but we'll find a way. But should it be that way? Should pet lovers, people that actually give a damn, have to sacrifice this much because they love their pets?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
    Should pet lovers, people that actually give a damn, have to sacrifice this much because they love their pets?
    No they shouldn't even though prices here are comparably lower than that it happens at our clinic too. And it is sad. Many of us have taken a pet that was signed over to us because owners couldn't afford to treat. At least their pet got a life even if it wasn't with them, it was a better option for pet and owner alike.
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    No they shouldn't even though prices here are comparably lower than that it happens at our clinic too. And it is sad. Many of us have taken a pet that was signed over to us because owners couldn't afford to treat. At least their pet got a life even if it wasn't with them, it was a better option for pet and owner alike.
    So true, and most of mypets, in fact, all but two (not including the fish), that I have, are rescues, or found on the street, or owner surrender (our bird Marty was from a guy that my hubby works with. Loved the bird, but found out his son is very allergic). We took her in because I grew up with birds, love birds, and frankly, she's a sweetie. Love her so much! But, if she got sick, very sick, I don't know what would happen. I'd do my best, but I'm no longer sure that my best is good enough.

Jasper is a rescue from the humane society. He was 4 months old when we adopted him and I know for a fact that his sisters, 4 other pups, were euthanized because they were deemed unadoptable. We got Jasper shortly (very shortly, we're talking hours) before he was scheduled to be euthanized). We only took Jasper (my husband was afraid to, because he was extremely messed up, malnourished, beaten, terrified of people) because I couldn't leave him there. He is now my baby. He's my dog in every single way, even though my daughter would disagree, and I'm not entirely sure she's wrong. Her and Jasper have a very special bond. Fact is, we turned his life around. Our beagle pup was from a registered breeder, and we only went that route because we specifically wanted a beagle and couldn't find one in a shelter near our home. He's a sweetie too, even though he lives up to his name a bit too much. His name is Chewy. :)

Three of the four bunnies I have are rescues. Two from the shelter, one found on the street by a neighbors friend that couldn't care for her, so we took her in. The one bunny that isn't a rescue was from a local pet store. I know better, but he was 4 weeks old (too young to be sold) and I couldn't leave him there. It's a weakness. Because of this weakness I'm no longer allowed to go to the pet stores. Heck, hubby has banned me from the shelter too, because I'd bring home every animal there.

We have the two fish bought at a pet store, but I have yet to see a fish at a shelter. ;)

So in short, we have 4 rabbits, 3 of them rescues. Two dogs, 1 of them a rescue, a bird that was an owner surrender (same as a rescue) and two fish (still free to a good home, I'll deliver, but until then, they're well cared for because they're animals, and I take care of my animals).

I've bitten off more than most people can chew, because I love all animals. I've saved these lives, but if there were to get very sick, could I save them again? Not without losing the very home that I brought them to, the very home that saved them to begin with.

Something has to give. Lower vet costs would be a start.

I'm really on a very high soap box tonight. Forgive me.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
    My sister loves animals and decided to NOT be a vet because of it. She spent a summer volunteering at a vet's office affiliated with the Humane Society in our small town. Can you guess what she did more often than anything else? Yup... she held the paw of an animal being euthanized more than she did ANYTHING else. She cried all the time that summer... and decided that she couldn't be a vet because people were so freaking irresponsible with animals that a vet kills more animals than she helps.

She ALSO said that she'd never be able to have her own animals if she were a vet. Dealing with the pain of animals every single day left her with nothing to give our family pets at the end of the day, and she said it wouldn't be fair to an animal to feel that way.

So... cut your vet a little slack, Alty. Maybe she cares TOO much.

And personally... I think that vet prices are kind of set to discourage people from casual pet ownership. I've noticed that people don't take care of things that don't cost much. And if you have a long-term vet that you see regularly, they can sometimes change their pricing for you when they know you are facing a family crisis with your pet, and not just a general wait until the last minute to treat it kind of neglect. At least, MY vets have been willing to do that for me in the past.

I see it as kind of the same thing as adoption---adoption is EXPENSIVE. It doesn't NEED to be as expensive as it is... but at the same time, a cheap adoption would lower the "value" of the child being adopted. It forces people to value their adopted children--whether those children have 2 feet, four feet, fur, scales or gills.

I realize your love your pets, and that you want to do the best by them, but medical care IS expensive---for people OR pets. You've got a cheaper system than we do for people, but frankly your vet costs seem to average about the same. You just SEE them as more expensive because your personal medical costs are so low. We JUST finished paying off the medical bills for Lan's birth and the problems he had the first 2 months. It bit into our savings so hugely that I'll have to go back to full time work by the time he's a year old, and I really don't want to. A serious problem with one of the cats would be devastating for us right now, because there's not much left in savings, and the prospects for a full time job that wouldn't require very expensive day care are pretty damned low.

I feel for you, Alty, I really do. But I know from friends who are vets that most don't make the fortune you think they do and that the reason they ARE vets is because they care about the welfare of animals. They can't pay out of pocket to save every animal, either, and sometimes the extra money you pay for your procedure is going to help pay for the free procedure given to a dying animal where the vet KNOWS the owners won't pay, but the vet can't in good conscience let the animal die or suffer when they have the means to help.

Sorry... I seem to be on a soapbox too. I just don't think it's as black and white as you make it.
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
    PS... no offense was intended, nor do I think for a heartbeat that you don't care or that you're neglectful. I just think that most vets DO care, just like most doctors do.

Sorry if it didn't come out that way.
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
    Synn, I do respect what you're saying, and I have to say that I have a great vet now. I really do. In fact, the vet that treats my rabbits (my vet clinic has around 20 different vets, all specializing in different areas) taught me most of what I know about rabbits. I adore her. She has rabbits of her own, and she loves animals.

The vet that euthanized Indy was phenomenal. But she still expected to be paid. Not saying she shouldn't, but I know very well how much the euthanasia drugs cost. Does anyone really deserve to be paid $130 for 15 minutes of service?

Having said that, it pains me to say this. I know my vets love animals, but, in the same token, if I called them tomorrow and told them that one of my animals was sick, needed help, they may put me on a payment plan, but they wouldn't reduce the cost just because they knows that I rescue animals and I'm actually a responsible pet owner. They'll charge me up the a$$ for procedures that I know for a fact only cost dollars, which I know they'll do tomorrow. They'll drive home in their $60,000 BMW's, and they won't give it a second thought. I get it. They paid a lot to go to vet school, and they have a career that demands respect and isn't for the weak of heart. But they gets paid very well to do it, and if you help with your animal, you will pay, one way or the other. Nothing is ever free.

If you can't afford to do even a payment plan, or can't find a vet willing to agree to a payment plan (and most vets won't) well, watch your pet die. Even euthanasia isn't free, no matter how much your pet is suffering. If you can't afford to humanely euthanize, then find someone with a gun and a bullet and hope that their aim is true and your pet won't suffer.

You have to remember that I volunteered at the humane society. I've held more paws while an animal was euthanized then most vets will see in a lifetime. I cried more tears for perfectly healthy animals that I couldn't save because I don't have the money, than I care to admit. If you really want to cry, hold the paw of a 4 month old puppy that's perfectly healthy and only being put to sleep because there simply aren't enough homes out there, and those that are willing to take him, can't because they can't afford vet care.

The fact is, Jasper is going to the vet tomorrow, because that's who I am. I take care of my pets. I can't afford it, but I'll find a way. He's my responsibility, and he will be cared for. That's the commitment I made when I adopted him. That's the commitment I've made to all my animals.

I do have to point out that there's a big difference between animals and humans. You mentioned adoption. It's not cheap. But I have to point out that I've never heard of a baby being put to sleep because they couldn't find it a home. I've never heard of a baby being denied medical care because the parents couldn't afford it. In the US 5 million dogs (just dogs and just in the US) are put to sleep every year. Not owner surrenders, and not sick dogs. Just dogs that can't find homes. How many babies are put to sleep because people can't afford adoption?

There are too many problems. The number one is backyard breeding and puppymills, which is the reason why there are too many dogs in shelters to begin with. But the second issue is that most people can't afford to get a dog. Not the basic care, food, shots, etc. But if their dog slips, puts out his shoulder, a very simple issue, it could cost thousands.

I don't know many people that can afford that. I know I can't.

Sorry. I'm seeing bubbles now. The soap on my soap box is getting foamy. ;)
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
    There are WAY more parents waiting to adopt than there are children to adopt.

But... to go with that argument... how many children are abused and neglected and yes DIE because their parents can't afford to care for them? How many kids go to bed hungry because their parents "loved them too much" to choose adoption? And go back 120 years to no CPS, no foster care, no welfare and no single parents... how many kids died unloved, starving, and neglected in orphanages because people simply did not adopt?

Again, not trying to put anything you say down--I'm in the same sticky position right now of NOT being able to afford a pet emergency. And... I'm an owner who sobbed for weeks after putting down a cat with a treatable problem that I couldn't afford the treatment for. It sucks sloppy donkey balls.

But I still see vets as good people doing the best they can with what they have.
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    PS... no offense was intended, nor do I think for a heartbeat that you don't care or that you're neglectful. I just think that most vets DO care, just like most doctors do.

Sorry if it didn't come out that way.
    No offense was taken at all Synn. None at all. (hugs).

I do see your point, and I don't disagree that many vets do care. But, I've seen many that don't. Many that are just in it for the money. I've seen many doctors that feel the same way, know some of them personally. They're in it for the science, the money, but not the actual animals or humans.

Like I posted, I babysat for our old family vet. She treated our family dog Silver for his entire 18 plus years, even after I knew who she really was. For around 5 of the 18 (almost 19) years that she treated Silver, he had a chronic ear infection. For the fist 4 and a half plus years of this infection we went to her for treatment. We spent around $4000 in drops, medications, vet visits. My mom finally had enough, contacted a holistic vet. He's also the vet we ended up going to when Silver had his back problem, an issue that could have left him paralyzed. But that's another story. The holistic vet cured Silver of his ear infection, one he'd had for almost 5 years, within a few months, and it cost us $20.

I never could get my head around a vet that hated animals. She couldn't even tolerate them in her own home. I babysat for her kids. I even asked her once why she didn't have any pets. I'll never forget her response. She didn't want animals in her home. She bred prize winning poodles, that she boarded, and only saw when she showed them or collected the money from their puppies or stud services. She didn't even have a goldfish!

I'm really not saying that all vets are like that. My current vet clinic has great vets, but they'll still charge me an arm and a leg to look after Jasper tomorrow. Also, they'll do every expensive test they can get away with even though I'd bet money that I already know what's wrong and what needs to be done. Still, they'll insist on x-rays, blood work, and more. How can I say no? I'm not a vet. My guess could be wrong.

They'll do it cheaper then most, but it will still cost more than we have, more than most people can afford for one pet. I have more than one. Heaven forbid one of the others should become ill anytime soon. But, if we look at it realistically, I saved them from death once already. If I can't afford to do it again, then I at least bought them a bit of time, right? Yes, now I'm being facetious. I should probably go to bed. I'm a bit too passionate about this, and I fear that it's coming off as mean. Not my intention at all.

Please forgive me.

(hugs)

Alty is going to bed now, after checking on Jasper sicky.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 03:52 AM
    I have to say, I think in Canada we get the short end of the stick when it comes to vet care. Vet care is expensive. Human care, when it comes to medical, doctors visits, even surgery, is free, covered by our healthcare system. But vet care is astronomical. I was shocked when other members that have rabbits told me that the cost to neuter their rabbit was less then $100. It cost me $300, and that was the cheapest rabbit vet I could find.

When we euthanized Indy the cheapest rate we found (and I really hate that we had to shop around) was $150. That was only the euthanasia. We had to make other arrangements to cremate him, and thank Dog that we have a family member in the business, otherwise it would have cost us around $500-$1000 to have Indy euthanized and cremated. I make around $1000 a month where I work. I have kids, a mortgage, car payments, and a lot of animals that I've rescued. They're all taken care of, but one expense like that could destroy everything we have. We simply can't afford it, and we do everything we can for our animals and our kids. But what has to give? I have no problem going hungry, but can I do that to my kids? No. I have no problem living in a tent, but I can't choose that for my family, and frankly, if I did make that choice, I couldn't keep the animals I've rescued either.

It's a crap shoot. I rescue animals so that they're not euthanized, because I love animals. But, I'm not rich. If one of them gets sick, really sick, all of the rest are put in jeopardy, not to mention my kids, my husband, and even me.

The entire system is wrong.

When I was younger I babysat for our family vet. She lived in a mansion (at least compared to our family home, and we weren't poor, we were middle class). The thing I found odd. She's a vet, to this day. She had no pets. Not one. Not even a goldfish. She charged astronomical prices to treat pets, but obviously didn't love animals enough to even have a fish in her own home. She bred poodles. All the poodles she bred were cared for by others. They never had any human interaction. For all intents and purposes she was a high end breeder, with show quality dogs, that never actually cared about the dogs she bred. She was a high end puppy mill IMO.

It left a lasting impression, and considering the costs that my vet today charges, and I have the best vet I can afford, my views haven't changed much. I've decided that most vets don't give a damn about animals. They're in it for the money. If they cared about the animals, they'd give up their fancy cars and houses, live a good life, well above my means, and actually help the animals and the owners that come to them, instead of charging them up the a$$ for treatments that cost dollars to them.

It's just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I'm shaking because I know that Jasper needs to go to the vet, and it will cost us a bundle. We just went to money mart yesterday to pay the bills. Where is this money going to come from. How much is the vet going to charge this time? It could be thousands. We don't have it, but we'll find a way. But should it be that way? Should pet lovers, people that actually give a damn, have to sacrifice this much because they love their pets?

Do they offer programs like this in Canada?

http://www.petinsurance.com/
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Do they offer programs like this in Canada?

http://www.petinsurance.com/
    Found it here. Maybe this is something for you? This one is for Canada.

http://www.petsecure.com/
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Does anyone really deserve to be paid $130 for 15 minutes of service?
    Alty, it's not just 15 minutes of service. The vet has to pay their overhead as well. They have to pay their employees, the electric, gas, phone, etc. Many vets don't own the building they are in, but have to rent. Then there is malpractice insurance added on there as well. The vet has to come up with this money somehow so they factor in a figure for all of their services to be able to pay this overhead.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Wow I've missed a lot in the few days I've been gone. :( Sorry to all of you who lost a furbaby. It is always rough, but as Alty said, we can always find room in our hearts to love another one day.

I'm exhausted. Spent most of the weekend shooting a rehearsal, wedding and reception. Rehearsal was all of Saturday afternoon, and the wedding was from 2 until after midnight on Sunday! I had to call in a couple vacation hours to work yesterday morning. It was beautiful though, and I was happy to help a friend capture her day. Now I get to spend my evenings editing over 1200 pictures!

I am 6 months out from my own wedding, so the little time I had left on the weekend was devoted to paying deposits and talking to rental places. But I got a lot done. The downside is that I am so tired at work. I may fall asleep on my keyboard! LOL - I should just elope.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
    I know you are at your wits' end with this Alty, but really consider yourself lucky that you don't have to pay for human health care as well. I have health insurance. GOOD health insurance that I pay over $250 a month out of my paycheck for. It still costs me $20 for each doctor's visit whether it is an initial visit or a re-check. It costs me at least $100 for an ER visit. None of that includes prescriptions. I currently take 5 prescriptions a day. That's just me, no one else in the family included. Two of my prescriptions are over $40 per month, that's just two of them for me. And that IS covered by insurance.

Now, I have 3 dogs, a lizard and two turtles. One of my dogs has chronic ear infections that includes thrush in the ears and he is also allergic to fleas, which are in abundance in my area of the world. Your vet bills are comparative to mine. HOWEVER, your healthcare costs are null and void compared to mine.

I love you Alty, you know I do, but I don't think you understand how good you really have it. We are a one income family (my income) and I still have to pay my mortgage, insurance, car payments, taxes and utilities, etc. How in the world can I afford food if one of us gets sick. Remember I even had to take a week off work because I was sick.

Heck, Xander had another ear infection last month and I had to ask the OB/GYN that I work for to write a prescription for him so that I didn't have to take him to the vet. Luckily the medication he takes for his ear infections is the same one that I take if I get a UTI, but I couldn't afford a $100 vet visit for a $4 prescription. Now we are getting into the flea and tick season. I have to take all 3 dogs to the vet monthly to get weighed just so they can have their flea and tick meds.

I feel you girl, but I don't think you understand how lucky you really are.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
    I do understand what Alty is saying. I know of lots of people who love animals who don't get them because they can't afford vet care. I also know people who have money and get the pet to show off to friends and the pet is not walked played with etc. They consider the pet a decoration like a lamp or sofa.
    I have always thought that to begin with spaying and neutering should be as cheap as possible. We need to stop all the animals dying in shelters. I do understand the vet has costs and needs to make a living but what is the balance? How do we do this so that animal lovers can have a pet?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 06:40 AM
    J-9 I do understand and am thankful for our system of health care. I have asthma and my BPD which I am in therapy for. I hate to think how often I would not be able to get treatment or go into hospital for my asthma. I have had to be hospitalized on a few occasions for it as miine is not well controlled with meds at all. Hubby has also had a heart attack when he was in his late 30s. We both have to go to the doctors for regular checkups and meds. I honestly don't know how people do it with chronic conditions.
    Then I think of the people who can't afford to get therapy for their mental health issues, treatment that can teach them how to cope and deal with life. To become a functioning member of society and pay taxes, volunteer and not be hospitalized over and over.
    I just get scared thinking of that and then realize I am thankful for our system. It still sucks though when you have a dog who is ill and you don't know where the money will come from. I pray everyday that Owen will not need the two expensive surgeries on his legs. I would move heaven and earth for that dog but where does the money come from when it is just not there?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    I have always thought that to begin with spaying and neutering should be as cheap as possible. We need to stop all the animals dieing in shelters. I do understand the vet has costs and needs to make a living but what is the balance? How do we do this so that animal lovers can have a pet?
    Where I live, they over low cost spaying and neutering as well as vaccinations. It is offered through our local humane society in an effort to keep more pets off the streets. Around twice a year, they offer Spay/Neuter-a-thons (I know this sounds horrible) where you can get your pet fixed for under 75$ (safely and humanely by licensed vets) It is really helpful for lower income households. As I have 3 dogs, I am VERY thankful they offer services such as these. I am currently waiting for their next one to have my 6 month old puppy spayed.

But I feel Alty's pain as well... My middle dog cost us over 2k last month after getting into something he shouldn't have. I am thankful we had that money in savings for a trip we had planned, because we probably wouldn't have been able to afford the $800 they required up front before treating him.

J-9 is right though. I work in a government position, and my health insurance is wonderful, but it still costs me $200 a month for the insurance, and then $25 each visit, or $40 for urgent care (which my children need often as they can never have illnesses or accidents during normal business hours) and $100 for emergency care. This does not include any prescriptions. Sometimes I am lucky and can get a prescrip for $4 or $9 without my insurance through the grocer here though. But as I am allergic to penicillan and amoxicillan, I typically can't get the cheaper antibiotics for when I am sick. I had to have a series of tests and an endoscopy in December to help diagnose some stomach ulcers and I am still paying these bills. $100 copay for the scope, and then over $600 for the bills that followed. I also have to have cortisone injections in my knee every few weeks, this costs me $25 per visit. My son also has a medical condition with his eyes, which require constant changes in prescription lenses (which my insurance will cover only every 2 years) I am lucky and use a flex plan and most of the time can afford my medical expenses, but I know many people (Especially my SAHM friends) who really struggle.

I really think times are just super tough right now all around. I know that I have had to learn to cut corners in anyway I can. I clip coupons like crazy, and save as much as I can there. (yep, one of those crazy cuopon ladies jumping in trashcans for coupons) and we grow a lot of our own veggies. But because of this, I am able to feed my family of four for around $200 a month, and I still have some left to donate.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    I have always thought that to begin with spaying and neutering should be as cheap as possible. We need to stop all the animals dieing in shelters. I do understand the vet has costs and needs to make a living but what is the balance? How do we do this so that animal lovers can have a pet?
    I'm NOT trying to be mean here... just further a discussion... but really, that's kind of like saying that everyone who loves children should be able to have as many children as they want, regardless the cost of taking care of them. Therefore, I want society to pay for me to be the Octomom, okay?

That's not fair to anyone either.

Animal lovers can be around animals the same way that infertile couples can be around children: They can adopt as many as they can afford, they can volunteer to be around pets (humane society, shelters, etc) and they can foster pets for shelters. They can teach pets or go into a career that involves helping pets.

I ONLY had my fur-babies for 16 years of my relationship with my husband. I do understand it. But unfortunately there is a limit to how much society can bear the cost of people getting what they want.

I'd love to save all the animals suffering--just like I'd like to save the children out there suffering. Unfortunately, it takes people being responsible for their own actions to stop people from producing animals OR children that they cannot care for.

It's a sad situation all the way around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search