Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You actually got INTO the shower? Heck, I just turned on the shower, closed the door, and let the water steam up the bathroom while I sat on the closed toilet and held him on my lap. If he wasn't able to breathe afterwards, I sure was!
    He likes the water. I usually sit in the tub with the water running. Plus it helps get all the ick down the drain.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
    Synnen, I hope Boo is feeling better today.

Enigma, welcome home. :)
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Thanks Alty for starting this thread - because its nice to relax around a campfire sometimes and share the stars together, but also because some of the members we've missed seem to have come back - if nothing else, just to say hi! It makes it more like a family reunion - if only for the weekend.

Alty/Sunny/et al. sorry for the mishaps with the skins - we really aren't doing anything on our end and as Cliff said it's an issue of straddling three different skins that the system sometimes gets a little messed up - we call them gremlins.

Is it OK to ask how people ended up with their usernames? Some are pretty straightforward like Alty or ScottGem but others like Synnen seems further a field... I'm rpray2007 because my name is Ram Prayaga (PLEASE NOTE: you don't have to name yourself - that's not my intention), and I signed up at some site (I forget which) in 2007 and almost arbitrarily went with rpray + year. It's stuck - sorry not very exciting I know.

I worked for a guy who signed up with AOL when he was a tween and wanted a cool name, but didn't know how to spell very well so ended up with the very cool 'Nigma.' By they way, this guy (in his mid-20s) is now in a monastery - great guy!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
    I'll bite,
    LadySam is a combination of 2 of the most wonderful pets anyone ever had.
    Lady came along just about a year before the birth of my first child and gave us 15 years of unconditional love.
    Sam or Sammy was a beagle that found us, he was a mess when we found him, but an absolute joy from day 1.
    Since I posted in the pet boards it just seemed right.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I think we had a reason-for-username thread going a while ago, but haven't seen it for a few years.

On all other Q&A sites since 1998, I was CeeBee, my initials spelled out. When I registered for this site, I decided to consider my library background and years of wondering (about reference sources and yes, patrons), so I named myself Wondergirl. I would give anything to change it to CeeBee. Wondergirl sounds too much like Supergirl, and that I am not! I just wonder a lot.
    Marriage Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpray2007 View Post
    Is it ok to ask how people ended up with their usernames? Some are pretty straightforward like Alty or ScottGem but others like Synnen seems further a field....I'm rpray2007 because my name is Ram Prayaga (PLEASE NOTE: you don't have to name yourself - that's not my intention), and I signed up at some site (I forget which) in 2007 and almost arbitrarily went with rpray + year. It's stuck - sorry not very exciting I know.

I worked for a guy who signed up with AOL when he was a tween and wanted a cool name, but didn't know how to spell very well so ended up with the very cool 'Nigma.' By they way, this guy (in his mid-20s) is now in a monastery - great guy!
    Ram, it is perfectly acceptable to ask. Those who want, will answer. Those who don't won't.

I started using this name on AOL when I joined a chat room and have used it ever since. It is actually taken from me using my own advice. When I suggest writing down fantasies for your partner, it is from personal experience. Cat was a character and 1864 was a setting.

It is also permissible to ask what someone wishes to be called. If you prefer something other than Ram, let us know.

Also, welcome to AMHD. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do. :D
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
    I wish I had some cool story for my name. Aurora, have always loved the name and Bell just seemed to fit. But I like to pretend it's what scooby doo would sound like it he was saying adorable! Lol
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpray2007 View Post
    Is it ok to ask how people ended up with their usernames?
    Hello r:

Sure. I chose excon because I wanted something warm and fuzzy.

excon
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Synnen is something of an inside joke. I'm a geek girl, but it took me a bit to like online games, though my husband played them. When he started playing Dark Age of Camelot, he chose the name Rolynd (from Brownings' poem). His brother visited us shortly after he started playing and was constantly singing that song "Rollin' with the Homies". When the hubby got a last name in the game, he chose Widahomeas. His brother rolled a character Kykyn Widahomeas, and several friends chose names to go with it as well--Rockyn, Ridyn, Mezzyn, Wafflestompyn, etc. They kept bugging me to play, and I said I would when I could think of a good name. Synnen (sinnin') came to me a few months later, and I've been some form of Synn online since (Synn, Synna, Synnamyn, Synnin, whatever). If you see the name in an online game, it's probably me.

Mar 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Synnen is something of an inside joke. I'm a geek girl, but it took me a bit to like online games, though my husband played them. When he started playing Dark Age of Camelot, he chose the name Rolynd (from Brownings' poem). His brother visited us shortly after he started playing and was constantly singing that song "Rollin' with the Homies". When the hubby got a last name in the game, he chose Widahomeas. His brother rolled a character Kykyn Widahomeas, and several friends chose names to go with it as well--Rockyn, Ridyn, Mezzyn, Wafflestompyn, etc. They kept bugging me to play, and I said I would when I could think of a good name. Synnen (sinnin') came to me a few months later, and I've been some form of Synn online since (Synn, Synna, Synnamyn, Synnin, whatever). If you see the name in an online game, it's probably me.
    That's a good story!
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
    My parents named me after the recently departed actor Cliff Robertson. My middle name is the same as my maternal Grandfather. My last name was passed down from English and Scottish ancestry. Not as intriguing as some of the other names, but there you have it.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
    I'm afraid my username is boring too... its my first initial and last name. It is a whopper of a last name though! I popped in to ask a question, and ended up staying around for a year. I would have picked something more clever if I knew I'd be here awhile.

Mar 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
    I encourage you to fill out your profile if you haven't already, add links to your favorite blogs, sites, etc. This is your space to let people know who you are. Of course, some of you are a little (ok, a lot) private, but at least let us see what you are willing to share. It doesn't have to be your resume, but experience, life story, etc. would be great ;-)

I'll be reading your stories since you've got me intrigued.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
    My daughter just turned seven (Waffles, as I like to call her). I attached a picture!
    Attached Images

Marriage Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
    K, she is adorable. I hope she had a great birthday. :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 05:23 PM
    I love kids that age... they are cute and fun but not mouthy like they get when they get closer to their teens. I wish my daughter was still seven.

So did Waffles get all the candles in one try?

Anyway, user names... I've had this name for years. I always liked Norse Mythology and Odin was a great "character" or "god" in all of that. I had a white Husky and named him Odinn because of this. I started using the name but then when he died, I made sure it is always a lower case "o" as a symbol of respect to my lost buddy. I'm not going to explain the number part of it as it probably won't make sense to anyone and you'll all just be sitting there like "wtf?"
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
    She did not get all the candles, but in her very dramatic way, she said she didn't have to because she had everything she wanted already. I'm so glad my children's birthdays are spaced out, because I am just totally wiped from that party.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
    How on earth did she get the nickname Waffles? She likes waffles??
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
    I usually end up calling the kids whatever has been on my mind at the moment, but she does actually like waffles. Waffles was from an episode of 2 and a half men, where charlie was the kids performer Charlie Waffles. It also rhymes with falafels, which I have also called her. Her pigtails look like falafel because her hair is so poufy. I've called her Beans, which came from calling her Trini Beanie. Buggy makes an appearance every now and then, but most of my nicknames seem to revolve around food!

Now my little boy has some really odd ones. One of my favorites is Mayor Mikey We. (Adam West episode of family guy, when he ran out of lite brite pieces). He also gets Mikeysaurus Rex, and my sister calls him Mikey Gadaffi because he was a miserable, albeit well dressed baby that terrorized the house for his first year.
    Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 09:34 PM
    My poor kid gets names like "Stinkerpot" and "Fussapotamus"... yours are far more clever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search