Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
    He's six months, Stringer. Almost 7 months. He was 8.5 at birth and was only 13.2 at his checkup at 6 months. He's VERY small for his age--I get lectures all the time about it! But he's developmentally ahead of the game... just tiny.

He's having a much better day today---we started with the Farmer's Market this morning and have been either shopping or gardening since! Mommy and Daddy are finally sitting down to dinner now, if that gives you any idea how busy! But the yard looks nice, the veggies are in, and I just have a few hanging baskets to finish up tomorrow before I can sit back in my rope chair with a romance novel and enjoy my day in the back yard.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 13, 2012, 05:58 PM
    I really need someone to knock some sense into me before I do something I really don't want to do, don't have time to do, and I'm not even sure I can do! No matter what you think, no matter what your opinion, just do me a favor and tell me not to do it. Okay?

Here's the situation. My neighbor just came home from a weekend at her acreage. Her daughter is a friend of Syd's. She rings our doorbell, Syd goes out to play, comes back inside seconds later "Mom, mom, they found 5 baby squirrels at their acreage, do we have a spare cage they can use?". My reply "no, all our cages are full".

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, what do they feed the baby squirrels? They don't know!" My reply "Tell them to google it. I did. There are 5 great sites that give you step by step instructions, and tell you what you'll need, and what to do".

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, she doesn't know what to do. How do you take care of squirrels? She doesn't think she can handle it". My reply, and now I'm getting upset "She took them away from their home, their mom was probably just out foraging, and now she has to deal with them. She has to figure it out. I know nothing about baby squirrels!"

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, can you take care of the baby squirrels? They don't know how."

Sometimes being the "Animal expert" in our neighborhood, really has its drawbacks. I do not have the time to take on 5 baby squirrels. I work 6 days this week, we have a new puppy, I don't have the money to get a cage, supplies, or the time to feed these babies formula every few hours. I just can't do it! But, they're animals. I can't stand to see anything die. If I don't do this, chances are they'll die. To be honest, I'm not even sure I can keep them alive, but I have a better shot at it. Still, I don't have the time! I can't do this.

Tell me I can't do this! In fact, slap me around if you have to. Tell me this is a very bad idea, which I know it is. But the guilt! Damnit! I'm going to end up with 5 squirrels, aren't I? :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
    What are their names? :)
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Happy Mothers' Day

You know you will give it your best shot. Cute little squirrel babies that they are.

Dammit, I got to get this computer straightened out, I have no smirky, smiley faces still.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I really need someone to knock some sense into me before I do something I really don't want to do, don't have time to do, and I'm not even sure I can do! No matter what you think, no matter what your opinion, just do me a favor and tell me not to do it. Okay?

Here's the situation. My neighbor just came home from a weekend at her acreage. Her daughter is a friend of Syd's. She rings our doorbell, Syd goes out to play, comes back inside seconds later "Mom, mom, they found 5 baby squirrels at their acreage, do we have a spare cage they can use?". My reply "no, all our cages are full".

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, what do they feed the baby squirrels? They don't know!" My reply "Tell them to google it. I did. There are 5 great sites that give you step by step instructions, and tell you what you'll need, and what to do".

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, she doesn't know what to do. How do you take care of squirrels? She doesn't think she can handle it". My reply, and now I'm getting upset "She took them away from their home, their mom was probably just out foraging, and now she has to deal with them. She has to figure it out. I know nothing about baby squirrels!"

A few minutes later "Mom, mom, can you take care of the baby squirrels? They don't know how."

Sometimes being the "Animal expert" in our neighborhood, really has its drawbacks. I do not have the time to take on 5 baby squirrels. I work 6 days this week, we have a new puppy, I don't have the money to get a cage, supplies, or the time to feed these babies formula every few hours. I just can't do it! But, they're animals. I can't stand to see anything die. If I don't do this, chances are they'll die. To be honest, I'm not even sure I can keep them alive, but I have a better shot at it. Still, I don't have the time! I can't do this.

Tell me I can't do this! In fact, slap me around if you have to. Tell me this is a very bad idea, which I know it is. But the guilt! Damnit! I'm going to end up with 5 squirrels, aren't I? :(

Start some dumplings and keep a gravy recipe handy as background on the computer. Maybe they will get the hint that you can't take on the world. I know you care but at this point it is someone else's problem.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
    They could be snacks for Chewy and Rascal?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
    All joking aside, as busy as you are this is a tough one.
    I raised a litter of bunnies once because my kids asked me too, pretty much the same situation. It's hard not to consider it when it's your kid asking you.
    Maybe you could hook them up with a wildlife rehabber or reserve that takes in orphaned animals.
    Expert

May 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
    PRINT OUT THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Hand them to the other mother.

SAY NO.

End of story.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    He's six months, Stringer. Almost 7 months. He was 8.5 at birth and was only 13.2 at his checkup at 6 months. He's VERY small for his age--I get lectures all the time about it! But he's developmentally ahead of the game...just tiny.

He's having a much better day today---we started with the Farmer's Market this morning and have been either shopping or gardening since! Mommy and Daddy are finally sitting down to dinner now, if that gives you any idea how busy! But the yard looks nice, the veggies are in, and I just have a few hanging baskets to finish up tomorrow before I can sit back in my rope chair with a romance novel and enjoy my day in the back yard.
    He is fine Synn I am sure or the doctor would have said something and having a bright child isn't bad at all. :)
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post

You are ending up with the new babies we all know that Alty.
    But as a lesson to your neighbor I would tell her that the animals inherently are infected with a parasite (idiotuassium leaveumusbedumas) that will cause bleeding warts on adult human females .
    She must immediately shave her head and wax her entire body because a chemical exclusive to adult female human hair ( her hair type and color only) triggers the formation of the warts when exposed to the microscopic bugs.

To kill the parasites she has to smear a mixture of 10% peanut butter 10%anchovies and 80% limburger cheese on her from head to toe and leave it on for 24 hours and the first 4 hours must be in direct sunlight.

Then simply wash it off with transmission fluid and Mountain Dew with 1% hydrogen peroxide and she will be safe.

Good luck with your new babies Alty.

Happy Mothers Day
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 12:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    He's six months, Stringer. Almost 7 months. He was 8.5 at birth and was only 13.2 at his checkup at 6 months. He's VERY small for his age--I get lectures all the time about it! But he's developmentally ahead of the game...just tiny.

I hope this helps some.
    I was 4.90 at birth 8.2 at 6 months and a cause for a lot of worry according to my mom and grandmothers.
    I was the smallest kid in school until 5th grade. (got bullied a lot)
    In the 9th grade I was 5' 11" and weighed 180 lbs (got revenge)
    Started high school at 6' 1" 220 lbs .

With such loving and concerned parents he will be fine no matter what size he turns out to be.

Happy Mothers Day.
    Pets Expert

May 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Okay now, you all were supposed to tell me that I cannot take them! That was the rule! Oi! No help at all! ;)

Synn, thank you. I am going to follow your advice. In fact, I already did. I am not taking n 5 baby squirrels. I simply can't. I work 6 days straight this week, I have a new puppy (and he hasn't had his rabies vaccine yet, that's with the last set of puppy shots), so I really cannot take in five squirrels. I just can't. I'm not doing it! I'm really not doing it.

Sigh. I'll probably post pictures later. :( But I'm not taking them!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
    So I may have gotten to the bottom of what's going on with E. I went to the Children's Hospital today, and the doctor there told me it MIGHT be something something syndrome (lol). Basically the rash was brought on by the allergic reaction from the band aid and now she can have these spots for up to a year, and there isn't much I can do aside from letting them run their course. At least they aren't hurting or itching, but I wish I could remember what he called the syndrome.
    Pets Expert

May 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
    A year? Holy crap on a stick! That's some allergic reaction! Poor E!

I bet you're wishing it were chicken pox right about now. ;)

Hugs to you and E! Wish I knew how to get rid of the spots.
    Expert

May 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizing2 View Post
    I hope this helps some.
    I was 4.90 at birth 8.2 at 6 months and a cause for a lot of worry according to my mom and grandmothers.
    I was the smallest kid in school until 5th grade. (got bullied a lot)
    In the 9th grade I was 5' 11" and weighed 180 lbs (got revenge)
    Started high school at 6' 1" 220 lbs .

With such loving and concerned parents he will be fine no matter what size he turns out to be.

Happy Mothers Day.
    Thank you! This makes me feel MUCH better!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Yea, Alty I DO wish it were chciken pox. Hopefully it doesn't last the entire year. Poor little pea.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Alty Don't DO IT!

Damn it women.

Syn, your son is totally gorgeous, oh to be that loved.

Bella, at least the spots will fade, plus E ( in the words of my own daughter) is totes amazeballs!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Amazeballs? I have to remember that one!

Alty... I've got the rabies shots... hint hint. In other words... NOOOOO, run like the wind.

Synn, Baby Boo is the most beautiful little babe ever seen in pics.

Today marks a sad day for me. My last day of work before my girl graduates high school in 2 days. I can't believe how the time has passed. It only seems like yesterday I welcomed that 4 pound bundle of joy and now it won't be long before I kiss her goodbye to live on her own at college. It was so much easier to say goodbye to my oldest boys than it is my only girl. Don't know how I'm going to handle that.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 08:06 AM
    J, never fear, they come back when their hungry and get their groceries from your freezer! they talk the ears off you and then their gone again.

I was surprised to learn I actually like my house tidy and milk in the morning for breakfast!

I was trying to remember an old saying ' a daughter is just a little girl who grows up to be a friend'... time for a new relationship for you both, and to be honest J, its pretty great.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    I was surprised to learn i actually like my house tidy and milk in the morning for breakfast!
    But she's the one who keeps my house tidy and makes sure I have breakfast when I come home from work in the morning. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search