Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
    My dryer is 41 years old. My stove and refrigerator were purchased before you were born. I want new ones, but my husband keeps repairing them. My dishwasher is a dishcloth and my hands.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My dryer is 41 years old. My stove and refrigerator were purchased before you were born. I want new ones, but my husband keeps repairing them. My dishwasher is a dishcloth and my hands.
    I wish mine could be repaired. WG, be happy with the ones you have. Trust me, you'll never find better ones. The new ones may be prettier, but they won't last.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 07:37 PM
    My husband would repair them.

A friend just got a new stove and refrigerator and says the energy saving is amazing. Her electric bills are less than half of what they used to be.
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 07:58 PM
    My husband would repair them.

A friend just got a new stove and refrigerator and says the energy saving is amazing. Her electric bills are less than half of what they used to be.
    That's true. They are a lot more energy efficient then the older models. But back in the day things were made to last. Of course that wasn't good for the appliance manufacturers. If a stove lasts for 41 years then people won't buy new stoves, so they had to build them to have a shorter lifespan.

It wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't so darn expensive, and if they didn't all break down at once. ;)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 07:21 AM
    what a weekend. My littlest one has been throwing up since Friday morning... No other symptoms. Just randomly throws up and then runs off and plays and eats like normal. I limited his food at first, and then when he didn't throw up after several hours, let him eat real food, and then low and behold a few hours after that. *ralph*... sigh. Mommy wants a do-over.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Hope your boy feels better soon!

It's always sad being on the last day of vacation. I wish I would have cleaned on my first day instead of leaving it all for today.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Hope your boy feels better soon!

It's always sad being on the last day of vacation. I wish I would have cleaned on my first day instead of leaving it all for today.
    Thanks AB, me too. Sorry your vacation is already through. I can't wait until I can take mine. Lol. Haven't had one in 4 years! Can you call the little birds and chipmunks and squirrels like they do in disney movies? ;) That works right?
    Dogs Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Haha it totally does work! I have a little helper chipmunk here "helping" me, but spends more time saying "mom can you help me", and then I have to stop what I am doing to help her help me lol. Time for a movie break for her!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
    Hi to all the regulars that remember when I was around putting in my two cents worth. Hope to be around more soon.

God bless.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 02:32 PM
    Yay!! He's back!
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Hi to all the regulars that remember when I was around putting in my two cents worth. Hope to be around more soon.

God bless.
    Where have you been hiding young man? We looked under every stone on AMHD and we couldn't find you! This better not be a drop in. You better be here to stay. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 03:40 PM

God bless.
    Where the heck have you been? Hope all is well with you and that we get to see you more often.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 03:46 PM

God bless.
    Can you tell that you have been missed? :)

It's good see even this much of you, but I hope you can find the time to be around more. :D
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Syd's friend, that lives a few houses down from us, just came over with her babysitting certificate and offered to babysit Sydney the next time we go out.

A few issues with this. First, she's only a little over a year older than Syd (Syd is 9, will be 10 in August, and M just turned 11). Second, this child is the one child (that we all seemed to have growing up) that always comes up with a ridiculous idea that's either going to get Syd hurt, or in trouble. The last genius idea was making apple sauce (using the apples in the tree in front of her house) on the front step, using her dads tools. That didn't go over very well.

Second issue is the fact that Syd is much more mature than this child, and she's also a good head taller than her. I would find it too weird to hire a babysitter that's shorter than my child.

Also, we have Jared. We rarely go out, but when we do, Jared, who's almost 14, is more than capable of watching his sister for a few hours.

I don't know what to do about this. I don't want to squish this kids dreams, but I really don't think that allowing her to babysit would ever happen. Not even for 30 minutes.

Besides, a babysitter has to be in charge. This is Syd's friend. It would be more like a play date then a babysitting job.

So how do I let her down gently?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2012, 05:22 PM
    I would simply tell her that Jared is who would assume this role should you need a sitter.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Be honest with her. Tell her that you feel she and Syd are too close in age and Jared doesn't need a babysitter.

Or that you don't want a friendship to be ruined by turning 'girl's time' into babysitting time. I don't think M has thought through how her relationship with Syd and you would have to change.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Hi JMJ!
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Thanks guys. They just came back to the house to beg me to let M babysit, and that's exactly what I told them. I sat them both down, asked M what she thinks a babysitter has to do. She said "take care of the kids, get them fed, to bed, and if something happens, call their parents or take care of them". So I asked "and how do you think Syd would feel being bossed around by someone that's her friend, but also babysitting her?" She understood that that would be a bad idea.

So I think that's settled. They went to 7 Eleven together to get a treat. I told M "While you're at 7 Eleven, since you're older, you're in charge. Not babysitting, not bossy, but you're older so you have to make sure Syd and you get there safe and come back safe. That made her feel pretty important. So I think I dodged the bullet. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Then strategize with her about potential babysitting opportunities. Could she be a mother's helper while the mom is nearby and this girl can practice with the child/children in another room, reading to them, playing with them?
    Dogs Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Then strategize with her about potential babysitting opportunities.
    Tehehehehehe :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search