Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Synn, this too shall pass. Get some sleep while boo is sleeping. Maybe forget giving boo meds, take them yourself. ;)

(hugs), and wish I could help.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Hope you get some sleep Synn,

Well I am off for a week, not because I want to be. Was told to come back in a week. Nothing trouble wise.

There is quite a series form of bug going around and they just want to nip it in the bud.

Anyway, My little guy is happy. He is almost done with his easter holiday and will be going back to school. At the same time he is happy that his PaPa will be spending more time at home.

It would take too much time for me to try to catch up but wanted to say hi and drop in and drop a line.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCanada76 View Post
    Hope you get some sleep Synn,

Well I am off for a week, not because I want to be. Was told to come back in a week. Nothing trouble wise.

There is quite a series form of bug going around and they just want to nip it in the bud.

Anyway, My little guy is happy. He is almost done with his easter holiday and will be going back to school. At the same time he is happy that his PaPa will be spending more time at home.

It would take too much time for me to try to catch up but wanted to say hi and drop in and drop a line.
    Hey little bro! I can't believe the little guy is in school already! He's getting so big and handsome!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
    J9, yes he certainly is. Time goes by so fast. Wow. (;
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
    OMG! Joe, he's in school? Wow! Wasn't he just learning to walk yesterday? Holy crap time flies by fast.

Glad you get to spend some time with him while he's on Easter break. Sometimes bad news is good news. A bit of time off isn't always a bad thing. :)
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
    J9, yes he certainly is. Time goes by so fast. Wow. (;
    Dude! I can remember times in voice chat just waiting for him to come. Remember why I call you little bro? You have the same name as my little bro and you sound just like him!

How is work going? Do you enjoy working in the medical field?
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
    So true Alty, (;

Before I know it he will be married and having children of his own.

Okay well hopefully not that soon...

How are you ladies tonight?

I love working in the medical field. It is where I am meant to be. Defiantly challenging and different everyday. Can you believe been doing it for almost 3 years now.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
    How are you ladies tonight?
    Drowning my sorrows tonight if the truth be told. Had a very bad night at work last night. Losing a baby never gets easier.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
    Not sure if I can do what you do J9.
    At least where I work, majority of the people that pass away on us. Has lived a full life, although does not make a death any easier.

So sorry that you lost a baby... It defiantly hits you where the heart is. That is for sure.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
    I don't think I could do what you do Joe. I don't think I could work with the elderly. You are a hero to me to be able to do that kind of work.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Both are so very important (;
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
    I couldn't do either. Death is never something I've been able to accept easily, young or old. Losing my parents was hard enough. Going to work and facing the chance of dealing with death every single day, it would either kill me, or make me insane. Wait... that explains a lot about... never mind. ;) KIDDING! ;)

You both do a very important job that makes a very big difference. It's not something just anyone can do. It takes a special kind of person. You should both be very proud. I know I'm glad that there are people like you out there. Without people like you, people like me would find it so much harder to lose the ones we love. If that makes any sense. It did in my head.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
    [QUOTE=Alty;3084567]Martin is back! Yay!

Martin, losing a pet isn't easy. Only those of us that have loved an animal, understand what it is to lose one. We're here if you need to talk. I hope you know that. (hugs)

Alty is back ! Yay ! You were missing the last while before I ran away if I remember correctly , and it was a pleasant surprise to see you have returned . (hugs back and hugs to Cat and Califdad for their kind words also)

I know the pain of love lost , family friends and pets, is as bad as pain gets.

Muttley was all three rolled into six pounds of pure love and devotion.
    He took a lot of me with him, and I miss him.

Writing about him here helps...

I still can't talk about him without choking up.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
    Hey Martin!! So happy to see you back. Losing a pet is no different than losing a family member, as those of us who love animals consider them family.

We lost our basset hound a year and a half ago. My daughter and I still get choked up when we talk about her and her antics.

It's healthy to grieve them.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
    Going to say
    Goodnight... Almost that time to hit the bed.

Maybe there will be enough snow to have a snow ball fight with,. man, the winters here are awesome. Mostly summer weather. When spring comes. We get a little bit of snow but then the very next day it is all gone. Lol

Nighty night everyone.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
    Snow? The kids spent the day in the pool today!
    Pets Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Martin, hugs back. :)

No loss is small. The loss of a human loved one is no greater than the loss of a fur baby, small, big, furred, scaled or feathered. Animals get into our hearts, they become family. Their lives are simply way too short. That's their only downfall.

I once watched a comedy act by George Carlin (sp?) and he mentioned dogs. He said "Life is a series of dogs". He went on to say that every dog became a part of your heart, even though you swore you'd never love another as much as the previous dog. You went into dog ownership knowing that you'd likely outlive this little 4 legged being, and you went into it thinking that you couldn't possibly love it enough that it would hurt when it died, and every time you got a dog, brought it home, you were proven wrong. You loved, and you were loved back 100 times more than you could ever imagine.

Each time you lose a dog you swear there won't be another that can ever take his/her place. You're right. There will never be another Muttley. We put Indy down not that long ago, our 16 year old lab cross. No dog will ever replace him, not that we'd even want a replacement. He was one of a kind, just like your Muttley, just like you.

You can always tell an animal person from a pet owner. A pet owner will lose an animal and say "I want the same breed, coloring, and personality, then it will be fine". An animal person knows that the animal they lost was an individual. An individual can't be replaced. It's like losing a son or daughter and saying "I'll just have another baby, it will be a girl, and that will replace the daughter we lost". It's not possible. No one can replace an individual.

You're an animal person. But, as an animal person, you will overcome this loss, you will accept that Muttley had a great life and was truly blessed to find you. Then one day, when you least expect it, another little four legged being will catch your eye and steal your heart. You'll never forget Muttley, but you will love again. It will be different, because the being you find will be different, but it will be no less that the love you have for Muttley, because life is a series of dogs, and if you're a dog lover, even though you know it hurts like hell, you can't help but fall in love again.

Let yourself grieve. Cry about it, mourn your loss, talk to us about it. Tell us stories and post pictures. It helps. It really does. Accept that Muttley lived a full life. It was too short for you, but for him it was long and filled with love. It's not enough for us humans, but it's more than enough to our dog people.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
    Hey martin, good to see you back, I'm sorry to hear mutley died, there's no easy route through grief I'm afraid.

I'm glad to see you.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Hey Martin! Welcome back my friend. So sorry hear about dear Mutley. I'm not sure if you were here, but my Maxie boy died as well, I can completely relate to your pain.

Glad to see you back :)
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
    It's a bad dog week!

Martin came back and told us that Muttley has passed on. My dog Jasper is having issues that will likely cost us more money than we have and I'm not even sure it will help. Then, just seconds ago, I got a call from a good friend of mine. His sisters dog Fido (who we used to dogsit for months at a time, and really love) may have cancer. They're doing the surgery, but the vet wasn't very optimistic. On top of that, she has hip displasia. She's only slightly younger then our Jasper, and he's 10. The cost will be in the thousands. Just the biopsy alone will be over $2000. If she has cancer and they chose to treat it, they're looking at over $10,000 for treatment which isn't a guarantee. They're doing it. They are well off. Still, should anyone be expected to pay that sort of money when they're not even guaranteed that it will work? Remember, I'm in Canada. Health care for humans is free. I don't understand why animals should be any different.

I could really use a hug, and a solution to vet care that would make sense. A vet care program that would actually allow people to properly take care of their pets without dishing out thousands of dollars per trip, and that's just for a minor issue!

We all know the stats. Over 5 million dogs are euthanized every year in shelters because there aren't enough homes, and that's just in the US. Well, those that do give these dogs homes are kind caring souls, and most times they're not rich, and can't afford thousand dollar vet bills. But the truth is, when Jasper goes to the vet tomorrow, just to look at him (no x-rays, blood work, or diagnosis, but just to walk through the door) will cost us $150. If they want x-rays, there's another $300-$500. If they figure out the problem and decide to fix it, then we're looking at another couple of hundred dollars, and that's if it's nothing serious. Heaven forbid that he needs medication. This vet trip could cost upwards of $1000. I'm a good pet owner. Both my husband and I work. We can't afford to spend $1000 on a vet bill, but we'll find a way because we love our pets, we love Jasper.

But really, are dogs being euthanized because there are no homes for them, or are they being euthanized because we've made it impossible for anyone but the super rich to afford a pet?

Euthanizing a pet is the cheapest option when there's an issue, but many times it's a simple problem that can be treated. But the owner can't afford to spend thousands for that treatment, even though the treatment itself would cost the vet a few dollars.

Forget med school if you want to get rich. If you long to be a millionaire, become a vet. I'll start a thread about this because right now I'm really upset about it. We love our pets, but we can't afford the vet costs. Who can? Only the super rich. So why not just breed for those people? They're the only people that can actually afford to properly care for a pet, and frankly, they're the only people I'd never willingly give an animal to. How is that fair or right?

::clunk, off my soapbox::

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too old to realize I'm bisexual? [ 5 Answers ]

The first time I was attracted to a girl, I was 21. But I had a very sweet boyfriend and thought that relationship would last forever. I wanted to be faithfull so I didn't do anything. I did tell my boyfriend I could be attracted to women and he didn't mind. When we broke up, I didn't want to meet...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

How do you make your ex realize what he had? [ 14 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How to realize him that I love him [ 6 Answers ]

I am in a relationship from past 2 years. We have decided that we will have a no emotion relationship. Mean there will be no place for emotion and love in our relation. Now he want over this relation. He will be no more in in my life. I started love him before sometime. But I am unable to say...

View more questions Search