Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Dogwoods have blooms but no leaves
    We have had some really weird weather in N.C. Cold then warm alternately for the past couple months. My dogwood trees now have small undersize blooms, but not the first leaf. My forsythia, camellia, and crabapple have all bloomed but were covered in bright green leaves.
    Could it be that they are diseased or just confused?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Not uncommon to show bloom first. Same thing happens with a redbud. My dogwood,in Atlanta, has bracts but no leaves.
    Cats Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
    Thanks, this is only my second summer at this house and I've never had dogwood in my yard.
    I suppose I just didn't notice it last year.
    I just returned home from Savannah, Georgia is beautiful right now, by the way.
    Cats Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 01:27 AM
    Thanks, this is only my second summer at this house and I've never had dogwood in my yard.
    I suppose I just didn't notice it last year.
    I just returned home from Savannah, Georgia is beautiful right now, by the way.
    bonnie1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Why would a pink dogwood tree have blooms but not the first leaf?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1956 View Post
    Why would a pink dogwood tree have blooms but not the first leaf?
    You posted on another question but the answer is the same. Dogwood trees produce bracts, not blooms. They very typically come out before the leaves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cactus leaves? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a similar plant to Holden Caufields', but the plant itself is more 3 sided than roundish, anyone know what it is?

After 7 years he leaves me [ 5 Answers ]

So I've been with the same guy ever since I was 17 and he was 16. We're both 24 now and about 8 months ago he broke up with me. His reasoning was that he just wasn't happy. Now after 8 months of technically being "broken up" we still call/text each other every day, say "i love you," and sleep...

Curly apple leaves and spotty maple leaves [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 small apple trees, 2 are new this year. The older one developed both mildew and an aphid infestation. I have treated those and can see no signs of insects or fungus yet the new leaves are still growing in curled round. The 2 newer trees are also starting to get curled up leaves though I...

Red Twig Dogwoods [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Kansas City and my wife fell in love with red twig dogwoods. There seems to be several cultivars. Is there one that I should be looking for. Some say they grow to 10'. I would like it to be 5' tall max. Any ideas?

Is it necessary to rake leaves [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to rake leaves

View more questions Search