Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amcat80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat?
    My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if off after it hits the right temp it doesn't come back on when it gets too cold and the thermostat turns the unit on. The inside will go but the outside won't. So, it gets colder and colder in my home until I turn if off. I have a gas heater/ac unit. Its an old one and is all in one. It is gas with a pilot light which is lit. Its just the outside unit won't always come on so I have to play with it until it does. Does anyone know what this could be from? I have a feeling it might be loose wiring but am not sure. Please help!
    jocko009 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
    If your unit is as old as you say The contacts are probably not sealed from the elements, When the unit is off, bugs may have gotten between the contact points, When that happens
    It's fried bugs. Now when it closes the fried bugs keep the points from contacting properly. Or else the points are so pitted or corroded the points do not make good contact.
    I would say you need a new relay. . Jocko009

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump condensing unit will not shut off [ 4 Answers ]

My heat pump condensing unit has been running for several hours now without shutting off. It is blowing out cool air. When I turn unit off manually and turn back on, you can feel the heat for a few minutes and then it goes back to cool. Please help...

Outside a/c unit runs when heat is on [ 1 Answers ]

We have Trane XB80 that's three years old. This past fall we installed a Hunter programmable thermostat model number 44360. The wiring on the thermostat was done correctly. We have natural gas heat. Our outside unit runs when we're using the heat. Is this supposed to happen and, if not, what could...

Replacement of electric unit with gas unit in mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

#1 Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM vcavina New Member Join Date: Dec 2006 Location: California Posts: 7 Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home

View more questions Search