Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Mar 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Flush mount fluorescent shop light
    What is the reason a fluorescent shop light can't be flush mounted? I'm thinking air flow to cool the ballast?

I want to install several more shop lights in my garage, but to clear the overhead door they need to be mounted directly parallel to the joist. All the lights I looked at say not to flush mount, suspend only. I have two lights in my basement flush mounted, but they are perpendicular to the joists, so I guess they get air flow as I haven't had any problems. All other lights are suspended. Any thoughts, ideas, etc... Thanks

Mar 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Clarification---the lights are mounted ON the joists
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
    The reason is air flow, to cool the ballast that is inside each fluorescent fixture. Always was mandatory for the older magnetic ballasts, they would and could get piping hot . Many fixtures offer a spacer as accessory. Even one inch is fine.

Mar 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
    TK,
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going the spacer route if air flow was the issue, which you confirmed. These are the older mag ballasts, they get warm but not hot-but better safe than sorry...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
    When magnetic ballasts fail, believe me, they get HOT. I have no more fingerprints.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove the globe from a flush mount ceiling light [ 10 Answers ]

There is a domed shaped globe with a metal ring at it's base. There is no center thumb screw and no ring screws. I have tried to turn it but it moves a fraction of an inch in both directions and no more. I have slid a putty knife between it and the ceiling but I can't pull it down. Everything I...

Install new flush mount light with older wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a flush mount ceiling light fixture which requires source wiring to have 90 degree Celsius rating. My home was built in the early 60's so I assume it has 60 degree Celsius rating. Can I install a junction box some distance from where the light will be installed, run the original source...

Uninstall Flush Mount Ceiling Light [ 1 Answers ]

Nuvo Lighting 60/3107 "Kingston" Flush Mount Ceiling Light How do I undo this fixture to remove the dome! This is such a pain

Flush Mount Ceiling Light. [ 3 Answers ]

I have only 2 sets of wires (not 3) coming out of the ceiling box and I am replacing a ceiling fan with a Flush Mount Ceiling Light. I identified the live wires and connected them to the light fixture wires - black to black and white to white; light doesn't work. What else is needed?

Fluorescent bulb in flush mount "spots" [ 6 Answers ]

We have flush mount ceiling fixtures that each have two cylinder "spots". They are made by Hampton Bay and call for 60-watt type R bulbs. We like to put fluorescent bulbs in them (to save energy) but we get a funny smell when we do this. So, the question is: Can we use regular 60-watt bulbs or...

View more questions Search