Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbaven Posts: 153, Reputation: -4

Mar 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
    How does genealogy and your DNA work together?
    I brought a DNA test and I am trying to find out if I am full Haitian or not. Some of my sister say we are african and mom tell me we are french. Some of sister are dark skin and some of my sister are light skin. My dad is light skin and my mom is dark skin. My brother is light skin also.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
    You won't get that info from an at-home DNA test. You might find out if your father is biologically yours, but you won't find out your heritage this way.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
    DNA won't tell you your nationality - if that is what you are asking.

Mar 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
    How does it work?
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Why was my answer that DNA testing does NOT reveal genealogy not helpful? DNA doesn't reveal genealogy. That's a fact.

How does DNA work? Or what does it tell you? Here's a side which might help you. HowStuffWorks "How DNA Evidence Works"

Apr 2, 2012, 10:13 AM
    What does it tell me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 AM
    DNA tells you if the people claiming to be your parents or siblings really are related to you. DNA testing has nothing to do with your heritage.

Rootsweb.com might help you trace relatives and family names back to a certain country or countries. Don't forget--family names may have been changed or spelled differently throughout the history of your family.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaven View Post
    What does it tell me?

Did you read the sites I posted which actually EXPLAIN how DNA testing works, what it shows?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Actually there are DNA tests that will show various nationality strands for people.

Guide to Ethnic DNA Testing: How to Prove Your Ancestors? Ethnicity

Many people of African American decent have been using this to try and determine what part of Africa they are from.

Also there is really no such thing as a full blood Haitian. The first natives of the land were almost completely wiped out by the spanish. The ones not killed in war died of the diease they were not able to control. There were only a few that escaped to the mountains. Those almost all breed with escaped African slaves. So it would be almost impossible to be a full blood Haitian. This is going back to the 1500's.

If you mean from the main population of the mixed Spanish, African and Haitian tribes.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Great info, FrChuck - off to research.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Yes several people I know that are black are looking into tests to find out where or what African decent they are from. They are not using that web site but using a professional medical firm here in Atlanta.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

TV show on genealogy today 7/31/11 at 10:30. What station [ 0 Answers ]

Which station has a show on genealogy today in Denver at 10:30 AM mst?

When is dna required to change a minor name and how much is the dna? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am living in the state of NY, my ? Is how can I change my 2year old daughter name from my ex husband name to her biological fathers name, do we need a DNA and if yes can we do it through the court and does anyone know how much that is going to cost us?

What are the differences between human DNA and pig DNA. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to research the differences between human and pig DNA. I've had no luck finding any kind of information on this matter.

Genealogy [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please tell me if the name Witmer and Whittmeyer come from the same family? Thanks for your help. Canton 100 >Moved from Forum Help<

View more questions Search