Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jule117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Here's a geography and daylight question
    Ok this question is really bugging me!

When I wake up in the UK during British summer time (6am) it is light really early - however when I look at web cams in the USA at 6am their time it is still dark - why is it dark in Turkey who are only two hours ahead of us in time?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
    The US just had a time change, so now it gets light an hour earlier. I was up early this morning (somewhat overcast) and remember there was daylight at 6 a.m. (and this will get earlier and earlier as the summer wears on).

Does the UK have Daylight Saving Time? Maybe Turkey doesn't.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 09:11 AM
    In the summer the farther north you live the earlier the sun rises (and later it sets). Thus if you are in London at the summer solstice (June 22 or thereabouts) you will have almost 17 hours of daylight - sunrise at 4:43 AM and sunset at 9:22PM. But a person living in NYC will have only about 15 hours of daylight (sunrise at 5:25AM, sunset at 8:31 PM), because NYC is further south than London. You also need to consider that time zones can be quite wide, and hence cities on the eastern end of the tme zone will experience sunrise almost an hour earlier than cities on the western edge.

Wondergirl - yes, the UK and Turkey both have daylight savings tme, although they switch over on different wekends than we do. Chalk that up to our silly congress changing the weekend for our changeover a few years back, for no good reason other than to look like they're concerned about energy savings. It really makes it confusing for those of us who work regularly on the phone with people outside the US!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeing laser beams in daylight [ 1 Answers ]

I use a laser pointer for marking projects inside my workshop but unless it is dark I can't see the laser outside the workshop. I've heard that special glasses can be purchased but haven't been able to locate the sellers of these products. Any clues out there ?

Daylight by latittude [ 2 Answers ]

My question is: If Calgary receives 7 h 54 min of hours of daylight (sunrise to sunset) on December 22. On the same day, Edmonton receives 7 h 28 min hours of daylight. Explain why the number of hours of daylight is less in Edmonton than in Calgary on December 22. I believe it has something...

Daylight Savings Time [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one tell me when Georgia and other southern states complied with the Federal Law regarding Daylight Savings Time. I am trying to find out information on when Georgia actually complied . And if possible your point of reference. Thanks

Daylight Savings [ 2 Answers ]

Is it this weekend? When do I change my clocks? Tonight (March 10th @ 2am) Or tomorrow (March 11 @ 2am) Thanks

Daylight time new dates [ 8 Answers ]

I was on the NBS site to set my watch. The standard time notice reminded me we will be on daylight time longer starting this year. I am sure the old Mac I was using has no way of knowing it. Where is that information stored, and how do you change it? Could be a bigger mess than Y2K turned out...

View more questions Search