Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Hi Rikdiy and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. To answer your question, Not if wet vents are allowed in your area. Your toilet will be wet vented by the lavatory roof vent. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Yes, the toilet needs a vent. All depending on how the sink drain ties into the toilet drain, it may serve as both the toilet vent and sink drain if wet venting is allowed in your area. Do know however, that this is an easy one for a diy'er to mess up. There is a standard procedure here, but must be done just right. Only one way to really wet vent this correctly, and a whole bunch of ways to do it incorrectly.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Ya got dad concerned. Let me give you a example of a bathroom wet vent,(see image). If the toilet's between the lav and the pit I can't imagine a plumber doing anything but connecting the lav downstream from the toilet and connecting to the toilet drain and that, my friend, is a wet vent. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Correct you are Tom. And your pic is dead on. Only thing I worry about is them not tieing the sink and shower drian in downstream of the toilet. To many times I see people drop the toilet into a tee, and the sink and shower into the backside of the tee. This is no longer considered downstream, but upstream, leaving the toilet (at least by current codes) unvented.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Hey rikedry. Can you show us how your drainage's configured? Does the lavatory wye into the toilet main downstream from the toilet? Back to you, Tom
    Rikdiy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Hey rikedry. Can you show us how your drainage's configured? Does the lavatory wye into the toilet main downstream from the toilet? Back to you, Tom
    I haven`t started the drainage lay out yet , was doing the research first so that I do it correct the first time. So Im open to suggestions. Your answers to my questions are very helpful and the diagram you posted too. I was going to lay it out the same as the diagram minus the shower , I will only be doing a half bath . Haven't cut the concrete yet so I`ll lay it out as shown in your pic using a y to connect it before the toilet. Again your insight is apprecated and I thank you
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 20, 2012, 05:12 AM
    Keep us informed of your progress. And if we can help we're as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Yep, if you do as Tom drew up, you will be just fine. It doesn't hurt to roll the toilet vent/sink drian wye above centerline. Most areas actually require this. Some don't, because as long as you are using the toilet vent as a sink drain, the sink will keep the toilet vent clear. May want to check with local authority on this just to make sure you get it all up to specs. You always want to get the "under concrete" stuff done right the first time. Keep us posted. Lee.
    Rikdiy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Yep, if you do as Tom drew up, you will be just fine. It doesnt hurt to roll the toilet vent/sink drian wye above centerline. Most areas actually require this. Some dont, because as long as you are using the toilet vent as a sink drain, the sink will keep the toilet vent clear. May want to check with local authority on this just to make sure you get it all up to specs. You always want to get the "under concrete" stuff done right the first time. Keep us posted. Lee.
    I will keep you guys informed on my progress, will probably start cutting concrete next week. Again thank you guys for your help. Erik

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Pump With no Venting? [ 14 Answers ]

I just purchased a home that utilizes a sewer ejection pump for all of the plumbing in the house. Where the vent pipe comes up out of the seal on the floor it comes up about 2 feet above the floor and then it is capped? There is absolutely nowhere above that capped vent pipe where it could have...

Sewage ejector system venting [ 4 Answers ]

Installing sewage ejector system in basement, know that pit requires separate vent from drain. Existing vent is a 3inch pipe off main feed to septic system between toilet and septic which goes straight to the roof with no other vents tieing in. Can I tie in pit vent to this pipe or the sink vent ?...

Venting a sewage basin and ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finished basement with an unfinished basement bath. It is plumbed under the slab to a standard sewage basin. The problem lies in venting the basin if I wish to finish the bathroom and install a sewage pump. I do not have access to any pre-existing vent stacks, but do have easy access to...

Another sewage ejector venting issue [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem... The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from...

Sewage Ejector--Venting problmes [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just brought a house with a sewage ejector which only serves the bathroom in the basement. We always smell some kind of damp smell in the basement,particularly the area closed to the bathroom. Does it possibby cause by the venting problem of the sewage ejector? We check all the pipes...

View more questions Search