Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Apr 7, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I think I found another female. There are a few egg spots on her, but she doesn't have the blue sheen to her. The other one has been chasing her, but not a "I'm going to kill you chase." At least not yet. It's more like a "I'm annoyed you are in my space" chase.

I read somewhere that when you have zebra's you should get some Australian Rainbow Fish. It said that the colors distract the male, and they are fast enough to get away from them. Maybe if you try to keep this type of fish again, you could try it. If I can find some, I am going to try it and I'll let you know what happens.
    Attached Images

AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 08:25 AM
    I love the markings on that one, very pretty.

The rainbow fishies are so sweet and peaceful I don't understand why anyone would suggest to put them with Zebras...
    They would spend their life being chased and killed for sure.

Apr 8, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I have no clue. I don't even remember where I read it. I never heard of rainbow fish before that, so I know it wasn't my imagination. But then again... LOL

If you emailed me back after I answered your email, I didn't get it, because I deleted all of my emails without checking them. :o Thought you should know, just in case.:rolleyes:

I thought about calling this one Dot. She has a lot of dots. LOL

Apr 8, 2008, 06:32 PM
    The girls are having trouble eating the pellets. I noticed they keep sucking one in and spitting it out over and over (same pellet.) The first one hasn't eaten since Friday, so I gave them some flakes to make me feel better. Should I wait longer and keep giving them the pellets, or is there something else I could get for them? Maybe the spirulina flakes?
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:55 PM
    I think I did email you back.
    Can't remember what I wrote in there though LOL.

I would feed them what ever they could eat.
    Try anything. I gave mine some thawed peas tonight cause I had some left over from the goldfish and they went crazy over them LOL!

You could also try crushing the pellets.
    When I had small ones that couldn't chew the hard pellets, I'd crush them by putting some pellets in a teaspoon and taking the bottom of another teaspoon and crushed them - does that make sense lol.

I love the name Dot!

Apr 9, 2008, 02:35 AM
    Makes perfect sense. I'll try that then. Thanks

Apr 10, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I went back to the store today... again. I think I found another female. They are all the same size. I'll take a pic later (when things calm down a bit, LOL) and post it.

They had some babies in the tank, only about a half an inch each, so I bought some of them. They only wanted a buck each. I didn't think that was too bad But they had about five or six different species in the tank, so they could be anything. Probably mutts. LOL There were two frontosa's. I'm hoping that's what they are, but I know that's doubtful. There was a blue fish hovering around them, but the lady at the store said she thought they looked like little bumblebee's. Oh, well, we'll see
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
    That's really interesting :-)
    I can't wait to see the pics!

Apr 11, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Finally got a pic, and it wasn't too easy. I want to try to put the tank seperater that I made back in and make a small side for the babies to run in. They don't sell bigger nets around here that I could find. I'm afraid, though, that they might still get by it, and you know what that means. FISH FOOD!! :eek: LOL :D
    Attached Images

Apr 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
    And I wanted to ask you something else. The male keeps flying at the one, then he turns around and shakes his butt in her face. It looks like he's trying to take his tail and smack her around. Do you think that is their "mating dance," or do you think he's trying to smack her around?
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
    The fishys are cute as can be.
    Sounds like a mating dance to me.
    Babies may be in your near future!:eek:

Apr 13, 2008, 05:54 AM
    OH NO!! MORE BABIES!! :eek: LOL:D The male keeps spitting stones at the females. My dad thinks it's funny. He's sitting here cracking up.

I took the babies I bought out of the net and into the tank. One of them got out of their side, so I covered the bottom in stones. That seems to be doing the job. Though I haven't seen one of them since last night, and the one that got out I caught this morning and put back. I'm only counting five.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Oh goodness, those little buggers are great at escaping.

Sounds like the male is making a nice "home" for the female and all the babies he plans to have!! LOL

Apr 13, 2008, 05:08 PM
    I believe that!! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Ponds [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house that has a fish small fish pond with a water fall. It seems to have a lot of algae in it. Is there a way that I can clear the water and not hurt the fish or is algae a given and I should expect to live with it. My pond is approximately 6 ft wide and 8 feet long and about 2 feet...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

Dying Fish [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, My kids have an aquarium at home medium size which has got a filter and they are changing the water and cleaning the whole stuff occasionally but not late. They are feeding them morning and evening according to the instructions from the pet shop. They have to buy new fishes in every two...

View more questions Search