Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Well I'm back and everyfishy and fur ball are just fine.

I am still taking the two I mentioned down though.

The wedding last week was great! Thanks for asking.

While I was gone, my sister said she saw a little bob tail kitten in my garage (it entered though the cat door).
    She said it just watched her the first day she saw it, but the next day it was still in there but took off when she tried to pet it.
    She said it kind-of hopped on it's back legs like a rabbit would and that it had a major eye infection.
    She said it was about the size of my kittens too.
    Have you ever heard of a cat that hops like a rabbit and has no tail?
    Or do you think it could be a seriously injured baby.
    Obviously it's a stray too.

I've only been home for a short while and haven't seen it, but I set some food out for it. Hopefully it will come back so I can help it... or at least try to.
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Jun 23, 2007, 04:30 AM
    I noticed, when my cats were kittens and they were just learning to run, that they did hop around like a rabbit. I thought it was the most hilarious thing I ever saw. They didn't understand that you were only supposed to use one foot at a time, not two. I wouldn't think there was really a problem unless it looked like it was favoring one of the legs. You can usually tell when it's favoring a leg. The only was you can really tell if something's wrong, though, is if you catch it.

There are cat breeds that are born without tails, but they are extremely expensive. At least I think they are expensive. They are not the kind that I would expect to see running around as a stray. Obviously, they aren't common. You would see them in cat shows, where you don't see your everyday common domestic cat. There is a picture of one and some info in the link.

Japanese Bobtail cat

There are other possibilities, such as, it's tail got stuck in something and it pulled to get out until its tail came off. It did have a long tail and have an owner at some point and the owner did something to it that the tail is now gone. But since it's a kitten, if it did have an owner, it probably would have come to your sister. Kittens are like kids, they are more forgiving of wrong-doings than adults are.

I, personally, would be most concerned with the eye infection. If not treated, it could lose it's sight, and the longer it has the infection, the more likely it will have trouble seeing when it is cured, if someone catches it and gets it to a vet. Just like a human.

Hope I helped you some.

Jun 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Have you seen the kitten yet?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Hey there.
    No, he/she never came back.

Thanks for the link.
    My sister said it was solid gray.

Jul 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Hi. I went to the aquarium today. I thought it was pretty good. For someone with little kids, it probably would be perfect-it took about an hour to an hour and a half to go through the whole thing. I personally would have liked something a little bigger, that took a little longer. I took some pictures too, although most of them aren't that great. I couldn't get a very good picture of the sharks. The one I like the best that I took is the jellyfish, even though you can see the exit sign.
    Attached Images

Jul 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
    One of these is a frogfish (the orangish-brownish one) and one is a batfish.
    Attached Images

Jul 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
    The one picture is of an electric eel. I love the other two fish-I'm guessing they're salt water because of the brightness. The lighter one kept going around the tank nonstop and was going pretty fast. The turtle and the stingray were HUGE! The sting ray had to be at least five feet from head to toe.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
    AWESOME!!
    Love The Pics!
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Jul 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Beautiful pics Daisy. Thank you for posting them.
    John

Jul 6, 2007, 04:59 AM
    Thank you very much, both of you. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 06:38 AM
    How's that 20 gal going? Did you do anything else with it?
    And did you ever try the gin soaked raisins?

Jul 6, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I haven't done anything with it yet, except set it up. It's ready to go, if it wouldn't be so darn hot in my room. I totally forgot about the raisins. I was going to try it... :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:33 PM
    This first picture is a male.
    He has a gonopod that he uses to poke at the females when breeding:p
    Name:  1male molly.JPG
Views: 1763
Size:  34.1 KB

The second two pictures are females.
    They have a triangular anal fin.
    Name:  11molly.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  111molly.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  13.7 KB

You can tell all live bearers apart this way (guppies, platies, mollies, sword tails, etc.)

Oct 5, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Thank you very much. That made it so easy. And I think you are very right. The dalmatian has the male marking and both of the black mollies have the female marking.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
    You're welcome :D

Apr 4, 2008, 02:09 PM
    New fishy what do you think?
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Very pretty!
    I would say female also.
    I use to lower the water level to try and keep them on their side of the divider.

Apr 4, 2008, 09:16 PM
    I went to walmart and bought a couple of dowels and some mesh like material in fabrics. No clue what it is. Then I tried to make a divider like I bought, but the dowels actually fit in from the top of the tank to the bottom, instead of only about three quarters of the way. And I lowered the water about an inch. Hopefully that does it. The divider just didn't want to stay. You should see them trying to fight between the fabric. It almost looks like the new one is taunting the cow. LOL

Do you think he might actually kill her if I can't find any more females? I know the ratio is something like 1M to 5F or something like that. I know you don't know for sure, but just in your experience of keeping fish?

They had some type of dolphin fish at the LFS, and it was playing with my uncle. He was moving his finger along the glass and it was following his finger. It was about 8 inches long, it actually looked like a dolphin. The info on it said it got up to four feet. Holy shmatza! I'd like to see that!!
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 08:42 AM
    As hard as I tried, I only have 2 Africans left and they are separated.
    One male and one female, the male is so vicious toward her, he had her floating on her side one day and I thought I was going to lose her.
    So yes, I'd definitely say that if they are fighting through the divider, they will fight w/o it and the strongest will win.

The dolphin fish sounds cool. LOL wonder who keeps a tank large enough to house it.

Apr 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
    They aren't going at it today like they were yesterday. He's still getting excited, but not as much. Maybe there's hope they will live in peace. (LOL) When I came down this morning, she was in his side of the tank and he was chasing her a little. She still could jump the top. Apparently she's a pretty good jumper. So I lowered the water more. She hasn't gotten over it since then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Ponds [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house that has a fish small fish pond with a water fall. It seems to have a lot of algae in it. Is there a way that I can clear the water and not hurt the fish or is algae a given and I should expect to live with it. My pond is approximately 6 ft wide and 8 feet long and about 2 feet...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

Dying Fish [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, My kids have an aquarium at home medium size which has got a filter and they are changing the water and cleaning the whole stuff occasionally but not late. They are feeding them morning and evening according to the instructions from the pet shop. They have to buy new fishes in every two...

View more questions Search