Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K A with questions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Signing over rights what can we do
    My husband is being served with child support papers and he hasn't seen the child since he was born because she ran him off and told him to leave and not come back now she is wanting child support we are wondering if there is anyway he can just give up all his rights and that be the end of it because he hasn't been able to see his son at all and we live in another state now it's not that he doesn't want to pay child support it's because he don't see the reason of paying when he can't see his son and he threatened him if he even tried what could he do. Should he get a better job and try to get custody so he can he part of his life thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Ok, he can give up any rights, ( visitation, custody) anytime he wants,

He can not give up any obligations, if you can stop paying child support, there would not be 1000's of people in jail for not paying, if they could just not pay.

Giving up rights has nothing to do with stoping paying child support, the only way he could do that is if the child's mother remarries and the new husband wants to adopt the child.

He needs to work out the best payment he can, and work on visitation and leave up to the obligations he has.

And so what that she told him to not come back, he should have fought to see his children not be run off, he had the right to go to court all this time for visitation if he wanted it.

I would really be concerned being married to a man who does not want to pay his obligation on his children, if he does not for this wife, what would he do for you if that happens.

And who cares if she does not want him to visit, he goes to court when this is happening and get set days for visitation.
    K A with questions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
    He would have came back and fought to see his son but every time he tried she had her family run him off and threaten to kill him they even chased him down the road. And we live in South Carolina she lives in Florida it would be kind of hard for him to have visitation it would be hard on work to drive 14+ hours when ever he would have visitation every week month however the court sets it up
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Child support will have to be paid regardless and giving up his rights is strictly up to a judge and you better have a compelling reason or it will be denied. Child support and visitation-are also set by a judge so look forward to going to court, but in the long run that's the best thing. Economics should not be a consideration when seeking custody only will the child be in a stable loving home. Nowadays men men are seeking custody, so his chances are really not that bad. On a closing note he should do whatever he can to have some sort of relationship with his son as evry kid should know their father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
    And I am sorry if I sound hard about this, but we get about 3 people a night wanting not to pay their child suport, and think there is some way out of it.
    totallycrazy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Check with a lawyer. I know someone personally, This is a woman. Who gave up all her rights to the child, meaning she had no obligations either. She does not pay child support.
    When the father remarries, the new wife can adopt after a certain amount of time. The courts will not need anything from the mother cause she already signed away her rights.
    mastone Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 06:41 PM
    It sounds like he wants to give up his rights because he doesn't want to pay child support. He doesn't want to pay child support because he doesn't get visitation? He doesn't want to pursue visitation because it would be a hardship because it's a 14+ hour drive? Are you sure he wants to see this child?. because legally he is entitled. Further, my friend filed for visitation for his daughter and the arrangements were that she lived with the mother during the school year and with him during the summer and every other Christmas (or something like that with the holidays). So the visitation arrangements don't necessarily have to be "every other weekend" or something like that if you're just trying to make it convenient.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Feb 22, 2007, 09:27 AM
    A father can voluntarily terminate his parental rights, but it is up to the court whether that will end the child support obligation. The court will look to the mother's input on this in most cases. If the mother is agreeable to that, the court likely will be. But if the child has received public resources, support will likely be ordered paid to recoup the amount of public expenditure on behalf of the child. And in some cases, the judge may decide to require the payment of child support anyway.

I lost the link where I found this.. sorry
    bluejeangal Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Just question: WHY?
    Why does he want to give up his right to be a father to his son?
    Why does he not want to help provide essentials for his son?
    Why does he not want to pursue a relationship with son?
    Why not want to show his son that no matter that his parents are not together, he is still important and loved?

Time, distance, and financial ability is no reason to give up rights and no reason to make HIS son feel that his own father doesn't think he is worth the time, expense and or love he is entitled to.

It isn't the child's fault. He was brought into this world by 2 people who should have had his best interest at heart but sounds like 2 people who are just looking for what they feel is best for THEM.
    If a man is willing to just turn his back on his own child/his own creation, what is to say he won't do the same to any child you may have with him/or for yourself when you are no longer important to him.

Sorry, this is just my thoughts and in no way a legal opinion, but someone who has had it to happen to her children by their father and any relationship with a parent is better than no relationship at all. He will still be obligated to pay support, as the state and mother should not have to bear that burden alone and a judge will look at it that way also.

I feel you really need to take a longer look at his real reasoning for not wanting to have his son in his life. Inconvenience, money, time, love? What of future children?

Good luck!
    custodyjess Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 04:17 AM

What is the difference legally between temporary custody and full custody of a child

Jun 25, 2009, 04:21 AM
    How do I get custody of a grandchild when the parent agrees?

Jun 25, 2009, 04:25 AM
    [QUOTE=custodyjess;1817935]How do I get custody of a grandchild when the parent agrees? Is there a way I can do the legal part myself? Is there a cost?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 04:35 AM

No child custody and child visitations are two separate things legally you can not use them against each other.

They go to court and file for support. You (your husband) go to court and file for visitation rights.
    mommyof6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 06:57 PM
    I think if a mother denies a father from seeing his child she should not want his money either and father should not have to support child either

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a child from this girl, she has put him on child support But now he's considering signing over his paternal rights. He has recently stopped working and can no longer pay child support. If he signs over his rights will he still be obligated to pay for child support or any back...

Child support/ signing over all rights [ 6 Answers ]

My brother has a three year old daughter that he is not aloud to see. Or let me rephrase that, the mother of the child does not allow him to see her. They have been to court numerous times about child support and visitation. Well now time has passed niether one of them is obeying the law. He...

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Signing over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was...

Signing over parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how this would work. I am pregnant, and the father has a good job, stable, no drugs or alco problems, but he is not sure he wants to have a child. In his eyes it's all or nothing, either he stays and is involved 100% or he signs over his rights. So my question is, can he just...

View more questions Search