Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashton44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
    What type of board underneath tiled shower?
    I am renovating a basement bathroom and plan to tile the shower/tub walls. We inherited the house with the bathroom unfinished. Where the tub is the walls are regular dry wall. I assume I have to rip this out and either put in cement board or water proof foam board. What works best as the base for a tiled wall?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Hi Ashton

Definitely want to use cement board... any kind will work fine!

Be sure to check for the correct tile adhesive to use here as different tiles require different setting substrates,OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 07:43 PM
    Is the shower a separate fixture from the tub or is this a tub/shower all in one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Is there a product that I can use to stop a leak in a shower pan in a tiled shower? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an upstairs fullly tiled shower that is leaking from the shower pan. I have opened the ceiling below and tested both the drain and the shower pan and it is the pan that has a slow drip. Is there a product that I can apply over the tile to seal the leak? In "the old days" there used to be...

Repairing 1960 tiled shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair the cracks in the grout of the mosaic tile in a shower stall, circa 1960? Water has seeped through the ceiling dowstairs under this bathroom. The existing grout seems much harder than the grout around the 4x4 wall tiles. Is it a different type grout? Shouldn't there be a pan under...

Corner Seat in Tiled Shower [ 10 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and plan on tiling my shower and adding a seat in the corner. I am trying to determine the best time to frame in the seat. It seems I should put in the sloped mortar bed, then the liner. Then hang the cement board and put down the second mortar bed. At this point I...

Leaking tiled shower seat [ 8 Answers ]

A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down...

View more questions Search