Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jay11789 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water
    Hello all,

I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have no knowledge about gas water heaters. If anyone has any info, or troubleshooting tips, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Either the heat is too high or the pressure is too high. You may be able to simply open it and let it snap shut quickly. This may seal it unless the spring it too soft. Check the water pressure on your home to be sure it is under 80 psi. good normal pressure is between 50 - 70. Make sure the heater is not over 130 degrees.
    You may have to replace the t & p valve.
    Jay11789 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Thank you for your reply. My water temp is set to over 130. If it is any lower, it isn't very hot. I have an L ranch, and by the time the water gets to the far bathroom, it cools a bit, so this is why I have it set higher. Its been set this high for a long time. When you said "replace the t and p valve". Do you mean the pressure relief valve itself? Perhaps that has gone bad?:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    either the heat is too high or the pressure is too high. you may be able to simply open it and let it snap shut quickly. this may seal it unless the spring it too soft. check the water pressure on your home to be sure it is under 80 psi. good normal pressure is between 50 - 70. make sure the heater is not over 130 degrees.
    you may have to replace the t & p valve.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
    If you have a back flow preventer or check valve and no expansion tank, you will lose water out the T&P. Usually once tripped, they get a little dirt in them and continue to leak. Flushing may or may not help.

In the past the excess water from cold water expanding just went out the inlet and back through the meter or to the pressure tank. Public water systems now require a back flow preventer. Without an expansion tank, the excess water has to go out the T&P valve.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
    An expansion tank would probably do you a world of good -- If you have the height clearance and side clearance from the HWT tank vent, just remove the supply from the cold side of the tank, thread a 3/4" brass tee onto the dialectric nipple on the top of the tank, thread the expansion tank into the top of the tee, and put a 3/4" by close or shoulder brass nipple into the side outlet of the tee and reconnect the tank supply.

If the T&P has been dripping, then it should be replaced, no matter how new it or the tank is, water dripping past the T&P can lead to calcium or scale deposits on the seat and spring, which is a blowout just waiting to happen, then pipe the T&P outside, copper being as expensive as it is, I'd suggest you pipe it with CPVC if this is an option.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Home depot has a recirculating pump that easily fits on the water heater and has clear instructions on installation and use. I highly suggest it for quick hot water at lower temperature. Install the recirculating pump. It costs 199.95. Change the t & p. it has gone soft.
    jerseygirl151 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Thank you for the information on this post. I too was having problems with the valve on the side leaking and was causing quite a mess in my basement. Not to mention it's Christmas Eve and very late. I released the tp valve and let it snap back into place and that seemed to have stopped the problem for me. Will have a professional look at it during normal business hours to make sure everything is OK.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 04:29 AM

Hello Jerseygirl: you got plenty of good advices above. I would like to add one detail:

Once that valve leaks than it most likely has to be replaced bcs the spring will not hold pressure at preset tension anymore.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2009, 07:33 AM

Good morning Jersey girl.
    If you have a backflow preventer or a sprinkler system installed then a expansion tank is called for. Also, dom you flush your heater on a regular maintenance schedule? If not the click back for instructions. Regards, Tom
    jerseygirl151 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Merry Christmas and thank you for your feedback. I'm a recently divorced woman who is fortunate to own my own home again and really didn't know much about such things as water heaters. Your info here was of great help to temporarily relieve the problem I was having. I'm also very fortunate to live in a neighborhood consisting of mostly tradespeople and will have the plumber look at it when the holidays have past and replace if necessary. Would love to have a tankless system installed but don't think I can afford that option. Anyhoo, thanks again and enjoy your holidays :).
    chrystalkay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
    How often should I flush my hot water heater
    usatoma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 04:09 AM
    New GE Water Heater Leaking

Jan 19, 2011, 04:10 AM
    New GE Water Heater Leaking

Jan 19, 2011, 04:11 AM
    Comment on usatoma's post
    2 x new GE Water Heater Leaking 40 g

Jan 19, 2011, 04:12 AM
    ??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Leaking pressure release valve [ 6 Answers ]

My water heater relief valve is leaking on almost a daily basis. I had the water utility company check the pressue and it was fine. I have replaced the old relief valve and still I have a leak. There is no backflow preventor installed in the house or in the meter. The temperature is set on a...

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search