Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddhiggi Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Will my AC burn out?
    I have an AC in my garage for a room built inside with about 5 feet of space between the garage walls
    And the room walls. It gets really really hot in that 5 foot space. My question is will the AC burn out
    Or should I build a box around it to vent outside which during the summer is almost as hot but at night
    The garage stays hot.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Mar 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Are you referring to an air handler on a split system that is in the garage? If so than you should have no issues as long as the return and supply are well ducted and insulated. We have many air handlers vertically mounted in garages in AZ and our garages get muy caliente.
    ddhiggi Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
    The unit is a regular window AC. Its on a stand in the 5 ft space of the garage. It cools fine into the room but its so hot in the area surrounding the room I'm afraid it can't be good. The garage has its own 240v supply which the AC is wired to.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Mar 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
    Ok got it, so the air in the conditioned room is being recirculated by the 'window shaker' and that does not care. The refrigerant that travels through the system does care because it moves the heat from the evaporator to the condenser and that is expelled out into the garage via the fan motor. The condenser is recirculating air in the garage - pulling it across the condenser coil and expelling very hot air back into the garage. vicious cycle.

This would cause higher pressures and temperatures in the compressor/condenser and load on the motors. How much? Tough to tell. You will know when it has had enough because the indoor cool air will start to slowly warm up as it looses efficiency.

Is it worth building a vent to pull outdoor air in to the condenser and then expel that to the garage. Tough call but for the cost of a window unit I would probably say no.

If you ever decide to upgrade later there are some mini-splits, we call them, ductless and would probably work great in your situation.

Good luck.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
    Where does the condensate water drain? AC needs to be on outside wall for efficient cooling and drainage.
    tina36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Okay.. I have an apartment size ac.. it does not fit in any windows.. so I pluged iit on my sink for today cause it will be 40 c outside today and my son has asthma am I safe to do this
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
    The back of the unit must vent outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is a steam burn worse than a hot water burn ? [ 18 Answers ]

I would like to have the answers in short abou t the following : a) Why asteam burn is worse than a hot water burn? b) A pressure cooker cooks food faster c) A car cooling system is usually pressurized d)An astronaut needs a pressurized space suit all round his body e)It is difficult to make...

Can't burn my cd [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to burn a cd but it says errer bad parameter what is that and how can it be fixed I'm new at this I need some help so can you please help

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

CD Burn Help [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having a problem burning CD's using napster, I have used it before and it worked fine I don't know what has changed. I start the burn and I get a error message: An error has occurred while burning. A possible cause for this could be incompatiable media or too high a burning speed.Please...

View more questions Search