Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stingkee Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Traffic violation
    Im not sure if I have a motorist insurance and along the way I got a moving violation, I just want to ask if Im an uninsured motorist and I got a ticket, do I first get an insurance before I fix my ticket or fix my ticket first before getting my insurance. My deadline for my ticket is on March 14,2006... tnx!! :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2007, 06:09 PM
    You should never be without insurance. You should have gotten two tickets, one for the moving violation the other for driving uninsured. You need to get insurance before you answer the ticket.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 19, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stingkee
    Im not sure if I have a motorist insurance and along the way I got a moving violation, I just wanna ask if Im an uninsured motorist and I got a ticket, do I first get an insurance before I fix my ticket or fix my ticket first before getting my insurance. My deadline for my ticket is on March 14,2006...tnx!!!:confused:
    When you show up for court, you are going to have to show proof of insurance. If you do not have insurance, it is called an FRA infraction. You will loose your license for a set period (FRA suspension), depending on your state. If you want your license back before the term has ended, you will be required to show proof of insurance. There after, you will have to provide the DMV with proof of insurance every 6 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
    How do you not know if you have insurance, it is something you buy from an insurance agent, so you know if you have it or not.

And if you don't have it, for heavens sake get it before you go to court, you should have had it the day after the ticket if you did not have it.

If you show you bought it at court, they may not fine you as much, No insurance ( at least in our state) is one of the most serious tickets you can get, with one of the largest fines.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Traffic violation
    I don't really know because they just gave me the car and I didn't know that as a driver I should be insured too, I was thinking that as long as I have the car insurance even not under my name, Im also insured... its under my sister's name?so if I transfer the name of the car under my name, does it mean Im also already insured as a driver?tnx for your reply, I really need your help...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Ignorance is no excuse here. Who gave you the car? Your sister? The insurance was under your sister's name - was it for the car you were driving? Were you listed on the insurance policy as having permission to drive? Who is the car registered to, your sister?
    Is the car a gift to you? You do need to go to motor vehicle with the title and transfer the title to your name and register the car. That does not mean you are automatically insured because your sister had insurance.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:23 PM
    You honestly don't need to be driving if you don't understand and know the rules of driving.

Every car at least in the US has to be insured before it is driven.

Who ever owns the car has to insure it,

If your sister owns the car, she has to insure it, if you own it , you have to insure it.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Traffic violation
    I know Im acting like dumb here but if for example I went to the DMV and trnsfered the car under my name, will the DMV questions me ,or will they see it in their record that I have a ticket, will it affect my sister because she didn't know anything about my ticket? And how long will it take to get my insurance because my due date is on march 14.im sorry guys...
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:36 PM
    First it depends if the DMV is where you transfer the title in your state, in our state for example you go to the court house and transfer the title.

You sister has to sign it over, If the car is owned by your sister, tell her, she may have insurance on it, and you take the coverage with you, and the jduge drops all the charges,

But yes this effects her if the car is in her name and is being drove with no insurance, it is very serious.

Also stop asking NEW questions, merely add these to the orgainal question so people know what you are talking about, there is no way for people reading this question to know what the other questions said, if they don't open each in the right order.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First it depends if the DMV is where you transfer the title in your state, in our state for example you go to the court house and transfer the title.

You sister has to sign it over, If the car is owned by your sister, tell her, she may have insurance on it, and you take the coverage with you, and the jduge drops all the charges,

But yes this effects her if the car is in her name and is being drove with no insurance, it is very serious.

Also stop asking NEW questions, merely add these to the orgainal question so people know what you are talking about, there is no way for people reading this question to know what the other questions said, if they don't open each in the right order.
    So I still need to see a judge or go to the court to transfer the car insurance under my name even it is only a gift for me?it does have its insurance, it was just me who doesn't have one... and I think I didn't get an answer about my question a while ago, that if I transfer the car insurance under my name, does it mean that Im also already insured as a driver?

Feb 19, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Please help me those who read my question?my recent question because I really don't know what to do anymore
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:09 PM
    1. You have to go to court about the ticket, there will be a fine, depending on what you take with you, depends on how much it will be.
    If you don't take any proff of insurnce it can be in the 100's of dollars, non insurance in our state is about 500 dollar fine.

2. you need to talk to your sister since she owns the car at this point and time, if she has insurance great, you take that policy with you to court.
    You have to prove that you had insurance at the day and time you were stopped and got that ticket.

3. if she does not have insurance and you are buying or getting the car from her, then you need to transfer the title to you and get insurance,
    This is not as good for the judge but it will help.

4 you are not to drive the car one inch until you get insurance on it.

You can't transfer car insurance, but if she has it insured it is insured.

You need to get your sister and talk to her.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
    OK still not really clear,but it makes me feels better... another question is, how long does it takes to complete the transfer between family because Im scared that it might not be that easy and my due date is coming?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:44 PM
    You must be about 16. Still, no excuse for the ignorance. As Fr. Chuck stated in your OTHER question - you should not be driving because you have clue zero as your responsibilties.

To transfer the title from your sister to yourself does not take long at Motor Vehicle. You take the title, that your sister has signed off on, stating that you are the owner. There will be an amount that will show how much you paid - there is also a space to show it is a gift. You WILL pay to get the vehicle registered in your name - no freebie there. Motor Vehicle will process the information and you will receive the new title that day ( at least it works like that here in N.D.). Here they ask about car insurance and who the insurance carrier is. Sadly though, DMV does not verify the information, so any lying person can claim xyz policy and drive off.

Feb 19, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Tnx a lot 4 your help guys...

One more question before I go, do I need to transfer first the insurance of the car to my name before I pay my ticket or pay it first before transferring to it to my name, or it doesn't matter which one I do first?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
    Your post was made in 2007 but you said your court date for the moving violation was 2006? OK, I am going to assume you meant 2007 and you also mentioned you were going to try to "fix' the ticket, I assume you meant by this that you, for example, have a friend that might have the ability to have the ticket "disappear" if you know what I mean, or am I assuming too much, and you simply you were going to "fix" the matter by paying the ticket and admitting guilt by doing so. Anyway, one answer suggested you should have received two tickets, one for the moving violation and one for driving uninsured. I would not go back to the police and ask for 2nd ticket of course and let me point out that it not your fault that the police officer didnt write you a ticket for driving uninsured, it's his fault or lack of judgement for not asking for your insurance proof. Well, let me think some more, that last statement I made might not be correct, perhaps there is no law on the books in the jurisdiction that you received the moving violation that states you must also have liability insurance. For example, I live in AL and until just about 6 or 7 yrs ago, one only had to prove that he or she was "financially response" and AL statute at that approx time, did not specifically require that one carried auto liability insurance only that one had to be "financially responsible". As a matter of fact, police did not have the authority to ask for proof of "financial responsiblity" at that time and there was no law as there is now, that one carried liability insurance. Might be the case that the police officer had no right to ask you for proof of insurance, I don't know the State where you received the ticket but regardless of the law, it's definitely a good idea to have auto insurance and also the right coverages. If you chose to never buy insurance and go to court to protest the ticket for the moving violation, I know what I would do... buy liability insurance in the event the judge asks you for it... I am not so sure he will even ask that question as at least one of the answers here seem to indicate he will... but I would not risk showing up without liability insurance coverage. Now in LA where I am also licensed to write auto insurance and liabiltiy insurance is mandatory, police officers there have the legal right to have the vehicle one is driving towed and impounded if the driver cannot show proof of such insurance. I am not sure, but a ticket probably accompanies the request of the LA officer that you stand aside and call a taxi. Hope this helps but bottom line, it's good advice to carry at least liability insurance for lots of reasons and I don't know about you but if you plan on being in court to contest the ticket, it sounds like solid advice to have proof with you that you have seen the light and have purchased liability insurance.

Feb 20, 2007, 05:39 AM
    If the car is going to remain in your sister's name, she needs to contact her insurance agent and see if the insurance covers individuals in your age bracket. Many policies do not. If you intend to drive the vehicle, your sister MUST add you as a driver. There is going to be an additional cost involved. You are putting your sister and her assets at risk by driving her vehicle without insurance. Today is the day to get this taken care of. Don't wait until there is an accident. It MUST be done before you go to court or there will be a serious price to pay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2007, 06:45 AM
    The DMV will not let you transfer registration to your name unless you can show proof of insurance. So, if someone gave you the car, whatever insurance they had is in effect. If they let the insurance lapse, they are still registered as owner and THEY are in trouble for letting the insurance lapse and letting an uninsured driver on the road.

If the insurance policy is still effective, but you will now be the primary driver of the vehicle, that has to be reported to the Insurance company. Otherwise, they may deny any claims. Either that, or you have to obtain your own policy or transfer the policy to your name.

But you still need to do this BEFORE you go to court on the moving violation.

Feb 20, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stingkee
    I know Im acting like dumb here but if for example I went to the DMV and trnsfered the car under my name, will the DMV questions me ,or will they see it in their record that I have a ticket, will it affect my sister coz she didnt know anything about my ticket? and how long will it take to get my insurance coz my due date is on march 14.im sorry guys...

Have you even looked in the glove compartment to see if the insurance policy is there? As a driver, you are required to show proof of insurance. Most people keep the proof of insurance in their car. If you don't find the policy, come clean with your sister and tell her about the ticket. Find out if she has insurance. If the car is still in her name, have her add you as a driver. If you have already transferred the car to your name, they asked you when they transferred the title if you had insurance. If you don't have insurance now, (and you know if you do because you were the only one that could have bought insurance for yourself for the car that you own) go buy insurance.

Feb 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
    What if the car insurance expired, do I need to renew it first before I transfer it under my name or transfer it first before renewing my car insurance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I oppose this traffic violation? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Please give me your opinions. I was on my way to work it was approximately 6:50 AM between dark and dawn. Sunrise officially that day was 7:24 AM. I was going to turn left waited for oncoming traffic to pass then I turned right into a truck with no headlights on. I never saw him coming.Neither...

Traffic Violation in Ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I just received a phone call from a collection agency that is trying to collect on a 15 year old traffic violation in Ontario. Is there a statue of limitations surrounding this? They claim the town sent numerous mailings to a very old address. What recourse do I have, if any? Roger

Traffic Ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,this question involves getting a speeding ticket,and when the officer drove off he did not ask me to sign the ticket,is this ticket a vaiid ticket now,as I have the green copy with out my signauteur on,so there will not be a signature on the white copy,I live in the state of Washington,thank,s

Traffic light again [ 2 Answers ]

So I managed to get my hands on this traffic light and I posted orignianlly about how I might go about getting them to flash in some specific order. Now I just want them to flash randomly. Each of the 3 lights has its own hot wire and then there is a neutraul wire connected to all three. I just...

Traffic incident [ 7 Answers ]

I recently backed up into a car slightly. I didn't think anything of it so I left. The police arrested me but did not read me my rights and they still handcuffed me and took me to jail. My insurance has lapsed but I know it was my fault. Also, these other people I think are trying to claim they...

View more questions Search