Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolphin030574 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
    Blowers are shutting off
    I need some help quick! :o
    I am having major heater problems, I have had 3 companies come out to take a look at it but they still did not fix the problem (they still charged me for work they did and parts they added that didn't need replacing.) Anyway the problem is when I start up my heater (it's a trane) everything sounds fine, the flames ignite but then shut off after a minute because the blower does not come on. Or the blowers will come on but then the flames go out and the blower stops. I can get it to run for a short time but then in the middle of the night it stops working (my poor kids are freezing) I have had the circuit board replaced, the igniter replaced, they have scrapped and cleaned things in there but nothing works. I want to call one more company out to try and fix it before I give up and replace the whole thing which I don't have the money for. Have you heard of this happening can it be fixed? Please let me know something!!

Freezing in Texas :eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
    I think the way those things work is the gas valve opens when the thermostat closes. The gas will shut off again if a sensor doesn't have flame, or if another sensor gets too hot because the blower didn't come on. The blower in turn is controlled by a timer, coming on once the air is warmed up, but before things over heat. A number of the likely bad parts should have been on the board that was replaced. The gas valve itself could be bad, or one of the sensors. There could also be a bad connection somewhere. Have you tried running the blower on continuos? That could eliminate some variables. Might keep the kids from freezing until the problem is found and fixed.
    dolphin030574 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2004, 01:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply :) I looked back at some paperwork and they did replace a sensor. The weird thing is once the flames come on and then the blower it will start to work but then the flame will just shut off and the blower will shut off too, then it will try to ignite for another 3 or 4 times before giving up. I have tried running the blower continuously but that didn't work either. Do you happen to know a company I can trust in the Dallas, Tx. Area? When I had air conditioning problems 5 yrs ago I got ripped off by a company so I try to go off recommendations.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2004, 01:58 PM
    It really sounds to me like the sensor that signals the blower is running is bad or not connected correctly. One sure way of avoiding being ripped off it to fix it yourself. Sometimes it is slow, and may result in wasting money on the wrong part. Check the connections. If you don't find anything, try jumpering it. It is not safe to leave it that way, but if you identify the problem, you can then pick up the part at an electrical supply house or a dealer for your furnace. You can also ask for an explanation from whoever replaced it, if it is the one that was replaced.

Sometimes there will be a schematic or booklet around or inside a cover on the heater. Makes figuring these things much easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It always shutting off... Help! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there this is not really about software, but its about computer hope someone can help me... My prob is my monitor so many times that it always automatically shutting off or should I say blacking out... just like when you turn off your PC but the mine is I didn't shut off my PC but my monitor...

LapTop shutting down [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop keeps shutting down. I'm not sure if it is heat related because it could shut down after only a few minuets of operations or it can operate for several hours. I guess I could start with trying to clean up the registry and if that don't work look at the mother board as a potential...

Shutting down computer [ 2 Answers ]

Help! When attempting to shut down the computer via the "start" button, after being on the internet, a gray box comes up that says, "Outlook HTML Menu - this program is not responding. It maybe busy, waiting on a response form you, or it may have stopped running." Clicking on "wait, end task,...

View more questions Search