Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jess0221 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
    Low heart rate
    I have high blood pressure and am taking 25mg of lasartan and 50mg of atenolol. My doc just started me on the atenolol last week. I was nervous taking the whole 50mg pill and up until last night was only taking half. I've been monitoring my bp and hr twice a day but noticed tonight my bp is 124/86 and my hr only 52. I have a headache and noticed my breathing is short and shallow. But feel okay. Now that I'm laying down, my arms and legs feel numb, fingers and toes like ice and pressure on my chest. Is my hr too low and is it going to continue to decrease as I sleep? Should I go to the er, even though I'm not in pain or in too much discomfort?

Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
    Oh and I'm only 24 years old... is it okay to go to sleep? Or should I go to the hospital?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
    You should have followed your doctor's instructions. There was obviously a very good reason he scripted you for 50mg atenolol. If it isn't too later, you should go to the hospital. And next time follow your doctor's instructions to the letter.

Mar 14, 2012, 05:37 AM
    And take the whole 50mg to begin with? Cause then I definitely would've been hospitalized! After only taking half the prescribed atenolol the first two days, my bp dropped drastically from 154/98 to 112/64. It dangerous to be switched to a different med starting at a high dose. My bp and hr would've dropped too fast and down too low! I told my doc that and specifically asked to start with the 25mg tablet and increase if needed. So thank you, but no thank you. I know my body and the doctor is not always right...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 05:46 AM
    This is a bad side effect of beta blockers. You need to stop taking it an contact your doctor immediately. This happened to me as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low heart rate [ 1 Answers ]

28 to female hr 50.resp.14 clammy,has projectile vom.x2

7 weeks, low heart rate [ 2 Answers ]

I am 7 weeks and I have a doppler at home. I have not been to see my doctor yet as I am waiting for my referral. The babies heart beat is uasually around 80 bpm and I understand that is considered low. Everything I have been reading basically say the same thing, the pregnancy may not be viable. ...

Grandmas heart rate and bp low [ 2 Answers ]

My grnadma is 63 and she went and took her blood pressure and it was 85 over 51 and her heart rate was only 59 is this normal? Or is it low and if it is was can cause it to be so low

Blackouts & Low Heart Rate [ 6 Answers ]

My son (15 years old) has been having blackout spells(not completely passing out) and we have been seeing doctors for this, however they say that his heart rate & blood pressure continue to bottom out and that he is either going to need edication or a pacemaker is there anyone that has any other...

View more questions Search