Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjdtrader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Non resident alien foreign trust return required
    Hi there

Just wondered if you are able to help with two questions

I have an investment account with a brokerage firm, where I buy and sell shares, receive dividends from US listed and non US listed companies (on the stocjk exchanges).

My account was setup as a complex foreign trust with my countries tax treaty applied
    The trust has no US persons or ex patriots and has no presence in the US.

My understanding is as long as the correct withholding tax is held back, I am not require to
    File a return or any other doccumentation to the IRS ?
    Could you clarify this as to any (or no)reporting requirements.

Also
    I notice that I have received qualified and special qualified dividends from foregin companies that appear to have had no tax withheld on my brokerage statement. I was told that foregin coompanies are not required to withhold in this case.
    So I would ask if then that requires me to have to file file a return for these qualified dividends from foragein companies - on this non withholding of tax ?

Thank you very much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
    You should file the returns even if the taxes are withheld. Still, the IRS will probably not raise too much of a fuss if they are not.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then the payments from the foreign companies are not subject to U.S. taxes. Hence, no withholding.

I recommend you file the return. You might be surprised about what you get back in terms of refunds.
    mjdtrader Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Thank you for replying
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search